About to brew something stupid, need hop advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelipen

Reaction score
I remember reading in How To Brew, something to the effect of "at some point everyone looks at something and says 'i can ferment that'." Maybe it was phrased differently, but that's the point.

So, I'm staring at a few bags of wheat bulgur, some white wheat malt, a bag of dry honey powder, various malts, munich, crystal, things I've roasted myself, and I think... "I could ferment that"

On top of that, I've been feeding this wild yeast thing that smells spicy, phenolic, and I think might compliment a wheat, I don't want to use it on something I'll regret and paid good money for, so this is the plan with free ingredients (ratios TBD):

Wheat bulgur
wheat malt
Munich malt (small amount)
honey powder (dry honey and maltodextrin) in the boil. Not expecting any honey flavor.
base malt - probably golden promise
I might throw in a little of something I roasted

I'll probably do some kind of step mash, and test for conversion. I've got amylase if I need it.

These are the hops I have which I'm willing to dedicate to the abomination
EKG (1/2 oz)
Northern Brewer (1/2 oz)
Cluster (1 oz I had other plans for this, but it's getting old)
centennial (tons. but that would be stupid on top of stupid)
fuggle (1/4 ounce or so)

Normally I wouldn't use any of those in a wheat, but I'm not sure which of those would be most suitable to this. I'm leaning toward a mix of fuggle and EKG. Obviously not looking for a hop forward beer. Anyone used any of those in a wheat? I just used Fuggle, but I just bottled it so haven't really tasted it.

I once had a great wheat in aus that was bittered with cluster and had a 20 min addition of ekg.

Latest posts

Back