About fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alto

Reaction score
OK this is my first all grain using a fermenter. I have started my dry hoping today, I will do for 7 days. If when done i plan on pressurizing my fermenter whit CO2.

If I do;
1- what pressure is best?
2- how long?
3- this is a small batch so i may bottle it, do i still need to had sugar? (even with presurizing the fermenter?)

If you are using a glass carboy as a fermenter, don't pressurize it with CO2. I wouldn't take that risk even if the plan is "just" a few kpa, but obviously would be higher if the plan is to carbonate the beer. You don't mention what kind of fermenter, so this might not be the case . . . at least I hope not.

If you bottle, you will need priming sugar. Here is a calculator

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

If your carbonating your beer in the fermentor you need to follow the recommended pressure rating on the conical fermentor.

Pressure setting are based on several factors.
1) based on Beer style
2) at 12 psi with a carb stone 24 hours. If no stone it's the same schedule as kegged beer 1-2 weeks.

3) you need a means of counter pressure transfer to bottle carbonated beer. A beergun is a good option. You won't need sugar if your carbonating in the conical fermentor.

Back