About 1/5th too much priming sugar -- OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torontosudz

Reaction score
Bottled my beer yesterday and when I did the priming sugar I based it on 5 gallons, to get to about 2.75 volume of CO2. Turned out it was 4 gallons of beer so I have about 1/5th too much, enough to carbonate to 3.25

Pretty sure we have nothing to worry about re. bottle bombs but some reassurance would be nice.

I can't really conceptualize the difference between 2.75 and 3.25 to be honest -- how fizzy is that? I'm not making champagne am I?

In my experience, 2.3 vols is PLENTY (almost too much for most ales)

I am thinking that you may have a problem on your hands. The 2.75vols would have been a lot, but the 3.25 vols is most assuredly too much carbonation.

My advice would be, at some point, to open them and release the pressure and then recap them.
I am not sure when that "point" would be though.
It will depend on a couple of factors: type of beer?, temperature that you are conditioning at?

The one thing that I am sure of is that you are going to want to get those bottles someplace that IF they start detonating, they do not hurt anyone or make a mess. (both of which are very possible)

Lots of belgians are carbed like your beer. I wouldn't worry so much about bombs but if its just a standard ale it might be extra fizzy

Based on some of the overpriming often posted up here, I don't think that 1/5 too much will be a disaster, I would not recap them.

ok thanks guys - it was a wheat beer and jamil's book said to go for between 2.5-3 so I tried to hit the middle.

Back