Abandoned hop farm Australian need to store rizhomes before they are deatroyed owner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
Hi every one i am in south east australia it is fall here. I am at a hop farm that is abandoned and is due to be destroyed. I want to cut as many rhizomes as i can. Any tips on cutting them and store them they have gone wild. Should i transplant them NOW or leave them in the FRIDGE for three months and plant them in early spring. I am afraid if i transplant them now they will get confused and start growing with winter around the corner. Help guys i need to save these plants before they are destroyed. Keep in mind it is 70f outside and super dry at the moment.

I'm no expert, but I think you will want to transplant now. They will certainly start growing, but as far as I know, hops don't need a freeze over winter. They should at least start developing their roots, and when winter does come, they will do what they were designed to do and in the spring they will already have a good start on the year.

I'm no expert either. but I'd put them in the fridge until spring

You should be able to get at least twice as many as you plan to want if you are digging them out of the ground from an abandoned hop farm.

So ...

Plant a bunch now and put a bunch in the fridge.

If the ones you plant now grow - ditch the extras .. give away the extras... plant the extra and have more plants..

And of course you will probably want to dig up the whole crown, not just some rhizomes...

I did pig up both the root and the crowns. I would not have cut them off. I did cut off the the leaves there was no good way to take them.

Hi every one i am in south east australia it is fall here. I am at a hop farm that is abandoned and is due to be destroyed.

I'd love to see a pic of that !! An abandoned hop farm !! That's like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back