A38 Juice Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
So I have used A38 Juice in the past but its been awhile so I am trying to remember what was "normal". My O.G. ended up only being 1.065 so I pitched and stupid me forgot to shake / kneed the pack before opening it so I did my best getting it all in there and seemed to. I oxygenated pretty well very aggressive stirring for about 3 min non-stop. Fermented around 64-66 F first few days, took off like a rocket within the first 12 hours. Dry hopped 24 hours in and around day 3-4 let it get up to 68 F. Come day 5 I'm think this thing took off its got to be done or damn close to, go to add second round of dry hops to my shook when opening the lid there a **** ton of Krasen, YOLO let still dry hop and raise temps to 70 F. Now I'm on day six worrying about everything and decide lets grab a hyrdrometer / taster sample. Dear lord does this smell and taste good but man its a little sweet! Finally degas the hydrometer sample and we are 8 points shy of FG.

Now at this point I would typically say all is lost, this yeast has let me down (it was only 1 month old as well from packaging and its imperial for pete's sake). Open a pack of Nottingham, rehydrate and let it eat up the rest in short order (2-3 days). BUT I just want to if see others have had this yeast hit F.G. after seeming stalled, given a vigorous start and its still not hit O.G. by day 6. I know that is early but in 50+ plus batches every time I haven't F.G. in 6 days on a 6% or less beer, it just never does even a week later and I end up repitching.

Last edited:
BUT I just want to if see others have had this yeast hit F.G. after seeming stalled, given a vigorous start and its still not hit O.G. by day 6.

Checking on the FG on day 6 and thinking it is stalled when it is 8 points off the expected is asking a bit much. Give the yeast time to finish. If it is still 8 points off at the end of 2 weeks you can call it stalled.

What's the actual FG at this moment? You just said it would be 8 points shy of FG, but what is " your expected " FG? Did you mash at 154-155F? The yeast is supposedly close to LAIII 1318, which means English, with a higher need for DO oxygen upon pitching and its recommended fermentation temps. are between 64 and 73F. You haven't " encouraged " the yeast to ferment further by raising the temp. You can drop the temp again when dry hopping. Imperial says 72-76% apparent attenuation. That's very much in line with what I've got from 1318 and A38. Closer to 76-77%, but that's only because I mash lower, as I don't brew NEIPAs.

So I've used A38 and never stalled. It actually ferments rather quickly when compared with say any of the Chico strains.

I've also used A38 numerous times and it's one of my favorite yeasts. Wouldn't be worried at this point if you're on day 6 of fermentation. I usually let it ferment 12-14 days, including the clean up period and I've always hit my FG. I also always raise the temp couple of times during fermentation period. Has worked for me

Thank all! I know its early, just I remember this being a fast fermenter. I mashed at 152F with an 1.063 O.G. and F.G. Expected at 1.015. Currently sitting at 1.022-1.023 (depends on the angle :cool:). I’ve raised the temp overnight to the 72-74F range to see if we can get the remaining points over the long weekend.

I just did the same going in at 1.064 with a NEIPA, first time using A38. Day 6 gravity check showed 1.019 - target was 1.014, it seemed to have been at that point or close to it for a couple of days so I, too, thought it had stalled. Left it alone on the advice from the folks on this forum and 5 days later I'm at 1.015 where it finally settled - I'll take it! So yeah, sometimes this one just takes a little longer than expected to finish up, but it will if conditions are favorable.

Back