A strange way to sell yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sansnom

Reaction score
I stopped at a brewing supply store the other day to buy some stuff. I asked for a pack of US-05 yeast, which they keep in the back. The guy comes out with a small zip lock bag with some yeast in it and sets it on the counter, I was kind of confused and asked him what it was, he responded with "that's the yeast you wanted" I asked him why it wasn't in a pack like the last time I bought it and he said that's how they sell it now.

I bought it anyway but I'm somewhat concerned about using it. I guess they are buying in bulk and repackaging it themselves, which seems like a weird idea to me. I'm thinking about just tossing it and buying a regular pack from another store.

What do you guys think? Should I use it?

Fermentis sells bricks of yeast which is likely what that store had broken down.
I don't think I'd be keen on that from a contamination potential...

Cheers!

The shop probably bought the 500gram (I belive it's 500) packets that are usually bought by breweries, and they break it up to make more profit - that's seriously sounds unsanitary as hell though.

I would not buy or use that product personally.

I just read through the .pdf file for US-05 from fermentis.com and it says this:

Opened sachets must be sealed and stored at 4°C (39°F) and used within 7 days of opening. Do not use soft or damaged sachets

I have no way of knowing how long the bulk package they got it out of has been open and I don't think they refrigerate their yeast, so I'm going with the advice so far and tossing it. I'm only out $4 so it's not a huge deal.

This isn't the first time someone has asked about this on here... I would never buy yeast that wasn't sealed by the lab. Too many questions as to how it was handled and if it was opened and measured/weighed in a clean environment.

I just read through the .pdf file for US-05 from fermentis.com and it says this:

I have no way of knowing how long the bulk package they got it out of has been open and I don't think they refrigerate their yeast, so I'm going with the advice so far and tossing it. I'm only out $4 so it's not a huge deal.

I would take it back with a full print out of the pdf and request my money back. Otherwise they will continue to sell it to the uneducated brewers in your area.

If you have the stuff to do it, you might make a starter....
I probably wouldn't buy it like that.

I would take it back with a full print out of the pdf and request my money back. Otherwise they will continue to sell it to the uneducated brewers in your area.

I live over an hour away from the store, if they were closer I probably would. I'm thinking about giving them a call though. I wonder if fermentis would be interested to know that their products are being sold like that...

I live over an hour away from the store, if they were closer I probably would. I'm thinking about giving them a call though. I wonder if fermentis would be interested to know that their products are being sold like that...

Possibly, really the LHBS seems to be putting profit before service. I would avoid them in future if you can because how many other corners are they cutting to skimp on price?

Yeah I would give the LHBS a call and if they give you any trouble, call fermentis.

It would be interesting if you called and asked them about the way they are handling the yeast, and what the response was, then reporting it here.

I too, would be very concerned with this. Maybe they will send you a gift certificate or something.... I would not use it unless they were able to ease my concerns.

You definitely should tell them you won't be buying any more yeast form them if that's how they are going to sell it. You have no way of knowing how they handled it before you got it, and you have no recourse if it fails or gets infected.

I'd never choose to buy it that way.

It seems that they were able to buy the yeast in bulk from their supplier or the manufacturer. I guess that must mean something. To me though, it just adds a curtain of uncertainty. About how the yeast has been stored/handled and even It's pedigree...

I wouldn't throw away, I'd at least make some bread or pizza dough with it. You could also make a starter, wait a good while for signs of contamination, and use it in that form if you were so inclined.

I stopped at a brewing supply store the other day to buy some stuff. I asked for a pack of US-05 yeast, which they keep in the back. The guy comes out with a small zip lock bag with some yeast in it and sets it on the counter, I was kind of confused and asked him what it was, he responded with "that's the yeast you wanted" I asked him why it wasn't in a pack like the last time I bought it and he said that's how they sell it now.

I bought it anyway but I'm somewhat concerned about using it. I guess they are buying in bulk and repackaging it themselves, which seems like a weird idea to me. I'm thinking about just tossing it and buying a regular pack from another store.

What do you guys think? Should I use it?
Assuming I had a local alternative, that would be my last trip to that LHBS.

Does that shop sell bulk DME by the pound? Wonder how much sugar they're cutting it with.

They do. I might be in that area again in the next few days, so maybe I'll stop by and return it. I'm not giving them my business anymore, not just over the yeast but also the customer service is a joke. Out of the 3 times I've been there, 2 of the times the person working behind the counter appeared to have very little knowledge about what they were selling and the other time the person spent a good 15 minutes arguing with her cable company over her bill while I waited to be served, which was fairly awkward.

Do they sell liquid yeast in Dixie cups?

Seriously if you are willing to sell yeast like that to save a nickel you have no business running a shop.

Well, you obviously have the internet, so I think you can find a better supplier pretty easily...

There's a couple good ones, the problem is that they're all an hour to an hour and a half away, sometimes it sucks to live out in the middle of nowhere. I went the one in question because I was in the area for other reasons and I needed some stuff.

There's a couple good ones, the problem is that they're all an hour to an hour and a half away, sometimes it sucks to live out in the middle of nowhere. I went the one in question because I was in the area for other reasons and I needed some stuff.

I was referring to ONLINE supply shops...

I too travel to visit supply store in person, but I'd actually save time and money by planning ahead and ordering online. I must travel over an hour to get to my stores too. Cost of gas would cover shipping charges.

I live 250 miles away from the nearest LHBS - this can be quite the PITA when a person wants to brew. I started shopping online at EC Kraus and Homebrew Supply for things that I need that can't wait until the next trip.

I was referring to ONLINE supply shops...

I too travel to visit supply store in person, but I'd actually save time and money by planning ahead and ordering online. I must travel over an hour to get to my stores too. Cost of gas would cover shipping charges.

I have a business that requires a lot of traveling, so I don't realy make special trips to the shops, I just wait until I'm going to be in the area of one and stop by, so I haven't bothered ordering anything online yet, since it doesn't cost me much if I'm in the area for other reasons. I'll probably start ordering some stuff online though, for convenience. The other stores I've been going to do have online shops. The one that sold me the yeast in a zip lock baggy does not.

They do. I might be in that area again in the next few days, so maybe I'll stop by and return it. I'm not giving them my business anymore, not just over the yeast but also the customer service is a joke. Out of the 3 times I've been there, 2 of the times the person working behind the counter appeared to have very little knowledge about what they were selling and the other time the person spent a good 15 minutes arguing with her cable company over her bill while I waited to be served, which was fairly awkward.

I'm going to find it beyond hilarious if when you try to return it they refuse to accept it because they can't be sure how it was handled because it's in a ziplock bag that you might have opened.

Fermentis sells bricks of yeast which is likely what that store had broken down.
I don't think I'd be keen on that from a contamination potential...

Cheers!

Sounds like the LHBS mis-ordered and got a brick instead of a box. I would not buy it like that...I want the lab packaged envelope...sealed.

Guess I'm a lucky guy, my LHBS is about a quarter mile away from my house. If I don't need too much, I walk it. The owner has been home brewing for 10 years and is pretty knowledgable about it. Even went to the trouble of setting up 2 milling machines set for different types of grain. He always mills a hand full and shows it to the customer for approval before continuing. He gives a 10% of for repeat customers and 15% off for AHA members. He's well stocked and though he's only been in business since this spring, I give him all my biz cuz I want him to stick around!!!

Sounds like a shop that:

1) Doesn't know anything about brewing

or

2) Thinks that their customers are less intelligent then they are

Guess I'm a lucky guy, my LHBS is about a quarter mile away from my house. If I don't need too much, I walk it. The owner has been home brewing for 10 years and is pretty knowledgable about it. Even went to the trouble of setting up 2 milling machines set for different types of grain. He always mills a hand full and shows it to the customer for approval before continuing. He gives a 10% of for repeat customers and 15% off for AHA members. He's well stocked and though he's only been in business since this spring, I give him all my biz cuz I want him to stick around!!!

His enthusiasm is refreshing as well. :mug:

That store needs to be named so others can avoid it!

With a 250 mile round trip to the nearest LHBS I order online. In winter I can order liquid yeast, in summer I order dry packets...

Back