A scotch additive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutFan

Reaction score
I love my brews. Don't get me wrong here, but I also have a love for fine Scotch. If I was to add some at bottling time would that give some flavor without adding fermentables? What should I do?

There is nothing fermentable in scotch. I'd recommend experimenting with existing beers to decide what would work best.

Alright, that was the answer I was looking for. Some of the Highlands Scotch I get is quite sweet tasting. But, as it is a distilled spirit, there are no fermentables left in it. Well, I have some pale ales to mess with.

About 2 oz. per gallon, added at bottling, will give a distinct flavor. I've used bourbon before, but not Scotch. I might caution you to experiment with something other than a nice bottle of single malt. I think the subtleties of the Scotch would be lost, and you may as well use bourbon or Jameson's.

I'm a Scotch lover too, btw.

About 2 oz. per gallon, added at bottling, will give a distinct flavor. I've used bourbon before, but not Scotch. I might caution you to experiment with something other than a nice bottle of single malt. I think the subtleties of the Scotch would be lost, and you may as well use bourbon or Jameson's.

I'm a Scotch lover too, btw.

How would adding bourbon be even SIMILAR to adding scotch? There is NO smoke flavor in Bourbon, and there is smoke flavor in scotch.

How would adding bourbon be even SIMILAR to adding scotch? There is NO smoke flavor in Bourbon, and there is smoke flavor in scotch.

How would it be all that different? Scotch and bourbon are very closely related. I was suggesting that based on my experience with bourbon, 2 oz/gallon would be a good starting point.

There are bourbons that taste smoky, and scotches that lack a smoky taste.

I plan on using some Glenlivet, I have quite a bit from x-mas(both brother-in-laws got me 2 bottles each, mucho scotcho). I'll start with 2 oz/gal. and go from there. Thanks for the input.

On thing to consider doing is to get a children's medicine dropper like this.

ISG5951TD.jpg

Get a commercial six of whatever style of beer you are contemplating doing this to then add a few mls of scotch to a 12 oz glass of beer. Then increase the amount in each glass in some increment until you get it to the level you want..

If you use the measurement, you will know how to calculate the amount you will need for 5 gallons... 53 twelve ounce bottles is equal to 640 ounces or 5 gallons....

So if 5 mls tasted good in 12 ounces than approx 263 mls should work in 5 gallons when you bottle the beer...

Hope this helps.

:D

I have too many of those medicine droppers around the house from the girls getting sick. I might just have to shanghai one for personal use.

A great many years ago I picked up a 4-pack of some French-brewed beer that had been made with 'scotch grains', whatever that means. It had a very nice scotch-y flavor, but alas, I've been unable to find it again here in the US (I picked it up in Zurich, or all places). My beer bottle collection, is, sadly, in storage since our move, as I've no place to display it, but I'll try to keep it in mind if I wander up to the attic again.

Back