A recipe for leftovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailrider

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Being new to brewing I've found the information here very useful and has help me avoid many problems. Thanks to all! I'm three batches into this new hobby using recipes found the web or from my LHBS. My third batch was brewed the other day and I now have some left-over ingredients. I found some recipe calculators online recently and used them to make a recipe that would use my leftovers and came up with the following.
This is for a 5gal batch
Steep grains in 2.5 gal of water for about 25 minutes @160, bring water to boil add remaining ingredients as scheduled.
Fermentable
7Lbs Amber LME
3Lbs Amber DME
8Oz Crystal Malt 80L
8Oz Crystal Malt 40L
8Oz Cara-Pils
Hops
1.5 Oz Chinook (60 min)
1/2 Oz Perle (60 min)
1 Oz Cascade (20 Min)
1 Oz Cascade (2 Min)
Yeast
British Ale 1098
Hopville shows the recipe with a OG of 1.081....FG 1.021 the IBU at 41 and the ABV 8%.
I'm hoping for a medium to full bodied balanced or slightly hoppy ale with the aroma and taste of grapefruit. I don't want to waste the hops and malt I have so I'm hoping someone with some experience would let me know if I'm on the right track.

Looks like an old ale, with the exception that the cascade wouldn't really fit the style. Regardless, it'll probably be pretty good. I'd do the LME as a late-addition.

Thanks for the reply. It didn't matter if the recipe fit any particular style of beer but now I have some idea as to what I can compare it to. I just want to use up what I had on the shelf and avoid making something that would turn out un-drinkable. From what I've read the late addition of the LME sounds like a good idea. It will be a while before I get to put this together since I just brewed a Stone Arrogant Bastard clone that I hope comes out at least close to the original. Thanks again and stay well.

That looks like a pretty balanced beer, but it will fairly big, too. Why use up every ingredient on hand? The hops will last a good long time if property sealed and stored in the freezer. DME has a decent shelf life, too.

Maybe skip the Amber DME and use just 1 oz of Chinook and 1 oz Cascade. That would produce a hop forward Pale Ale with an ABV around 4.8, IBU about 35 and SRM around 15.

This is my first attempt at making my own recipe and since I do a lot of cooking I was used to seeing what I have on hand and working from there. I hoped to achieve a balanced brew with a taste of grapefruit and it seems I may be on the right track. I prefer a bigger beer than most pale ales I've tried and once this comes out of the bottle I can adjust from there if it comes close to what I'm looking for. But it is nice to know that I could make some small adjustments and come up with an entirely different brew....Thanks and stay well

Back