A question of age...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWKBrewing13

Reaction score
I have a question about aging. Because Cider has to sit for a while to age properly should one use a neutral spirits for the air lock so as not to let bacteria get into the fermenter then after fermentation is done just use a plug on the carboy so nothing can get in or out???

I use the same sanitizer I soak the airlock in. Even though relatively little fermentation takes place in the secondary I would never plug a carboy.

I use cheap vodka. I would rather be safe than sorry if anything ever gets sucked into the batch...I would rather vodka than anything else.

so why no plug? especially if you are stunting the yeast with a preservative or killing it with potassium metabisulfite No CO2 would be produced.

Less risk of anything getting into it

so why no plug? especially if you are stunting the yeast with a preservative or killing it with potassium metabisulfite No CO2 would be produced.

If something makes it thru a carboy with an airlock that has vodka in it, then the disease is airborn and you are already dead. :D

Plug if you are sure that fermentation has stopped and I guess airlock if it is still fermenting. In my limited knowledge at the point you are talking about I would just bottle it and let it age in them.

how long should you let it sit in bottles?

From what I can tell from my research...the longer, the better ( depending on if it is really sweet or not...I guess sweet ciders don't age well, or so I have read ). The alcohol is allowed to balance out. But, ultimately it is your perogative. Age them for different lengths, open one occassionally and see how they are doing.

Back