A Question by a Complete Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirk Boer

Reaction score
I've only just entered the world of home brewing. Is there any special equipment I should buy?

At minimum you need a kettle ... A heat source... A fermenter and airlock, some kind of packaging method, and devices to transfer.

Heat source? Gas vs propane vs electric
Kettle? Depends on batch size. All-grain vs extract or somewhere in between. BIAB vs multi-vessel. Full volume boil vs partial.
Fermenter? Depends on budget and features you want.
Packaging? Bottling vs kegging.
Transfer devices usually include tubing, and either a siphon or vessels with spigots. Maybe a pump.

A wort chiller, a long stir spoon, thermometer, hydrometer, and scale are other basic items. A method for controlling fermentation temperature is important, especially if you want to brew certain styles. You need sanitizer and cleaning agents.
There are hundreds of other gadgets that can help with various things depending on your setup and how far down the rabbit hole you go.

Great hobby and lots of fun! Welcome to HBT!

Last edited:
Outside of all that was already listed, I'll add John Palmer's How to Brew book. Not only will he lay all the required equipment out but he'll walk you through the steps of brewing for beginners.

I'd suggest you buy a basic beer brewing equipment kit such as this one.

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-share-enjoy-homebrew-starter-kit

Note that I do not work for Midwest nor do I suggest that they are the best/only place to buy. The nice thing about a kit like this is that it contains only the essential hardware plus a recipe kit to get you started on your brewing. You will also need a kettle, some way to heat it (stovetop works for most) and bottles/caps. After you have brewed a while you will find other equipment you will like to have but are not essential, just more convenient or simpler.

I've only just entered the world of home brewing. Is there any special equipment I should buy?
welcome.
depends on what method of brewing you plan on doing and batch size.
Pick up a copy of Charlie Papazian's Joy of Home Brewing. great book for beginners and still a good reference after doing a few brews.
Equipment can be bought or made as cheap and simple as a boil kettle , pitcher or large measuring cups, food grade plastic buckets with lids and some tubing.
I cant say for everyone but the Mr Beer kits are not a very good entry . I tried a couple and it all tastes the same and are the same color. brown and bandaidy.
how bad do you want to brew your own beer. What is your budget.
Very importantly , do you have a spouse or sig other that supports your want to brew,both as a hobby and financially? My wife loves my hobby and I keep a brew bottled for her . Some brewers here seem to have spousal or job schedule conflict or have young families that limit their brew schedules and brewing budget..
Brewing takes time and a few bucks to get going. It IS very rewarding. It is also very easy to get a case of the wants...start simple but with a good kit. Look on craigslist or local ads, or the ads here . Some people try it and get out because it takes too much time or they just arent into it OR they're upgrading. Find a brew supply house (if you have one locally , go visit it ) and find a nice mid grade kit to get started. The staff should be able to walk you through what to start with.
Whatever you decide ,keep it simple ,ask questions and have fun.
Relax Dont Worry And Have a Home Brew.

Back