A question about reducing the alcohol in a spirit to make a liqueur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
If I have say, a liter of spirit at 70% ABV (140 p) and I add 1 liter of water, the spirit will be reduced to 35%. If that liter includes say, 300 g of sugar (same 1 liter volume) does the added sugar do anything to the ABV? Is the liqueur still 35%? I imagine it is, but I am uncertain. Thanks.

No, the sugar does not affect the ABV. However, it will affect the reading on a proof hydrometer, because the SG is affected. A proof hydrometer only reads correctly if the solution contains only water and ethanol. Add a significant amount of a third component, and all bets are off with the hydrometer.

Brew on :mug:

Don’t dilute the spirit, add flavouring. I make flavoured gins I.e Sloe, Damson, Rhubarb and Raspberry. The juice from the fruit will reduce the alcohol level but also add flavour unlike water.

Thanks, Doug293cz. This was my working assumption and since I could not use the proof hydrometer to measure the proof or gravity and I could only go by basic calcs based on water dilutions... I was uncertain
Cheshire Cat, Really important point to consider, but in this case I am sweetening a spirit to which I added cinnamon sticks to create a sorta kinda fireball vodka. The problem is that because cinnamon comes from the woody part of the tree and not the fruit, I have essentially no sugars other than honey or sucrose or fructose that I might add without displacing the flavors from the cinnamon. But as I say, your point is well-taken, considering the last liqueur I made was apple, and I used apples to flavor the alcohol , albeit with some sugar added to extract more if the juice from the apples. And by the by, I make my spirits from a by-product from my hard cheese making - whey. Wine from whey can taste like a muscatel wine. You might add lactase tabs to the whey to up the gravity by about 20 points - or not. I add about 2 lbs of sugar to every gallon, and make a 65-70 % ABV spirit at about 400 ml from each gallon of this waste product.

Back