A question about bottling high gravity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozgu

Reaction score
Hi there,
I made a beer about 3 months ago, and it stucked at 1,040 gravity (o.g. was 1,121, and fermented with 2 pack of us-05), and since 2 weeks gravity did not changed. So, due to yeasts probably dead, i consider to add fresh yeast to bottle conditioning, but i have a question about it. Since amount of residual sugar is relatively high, could adding both fresh yeast and priming sugar make bottles explode ?

Thank you

I had a similar experience. I bottle primed with sugar and champagne yeast. I used a plastic bottle to monitor the progress of the beer priming and it really was very normal. The champagne yeast can’t eat the more complex sugars that the US-05 left behind. I was pretty worried that I would get bottle bombs but this method worked well though the beer was overly sweet.

You could also try adding fresh yeast (something that stands up to high alcohol content since you're at 10%+ ABV) to the fermentation vessel and see if you can get lower. If you're still at 1.040 after that, then I wouldn't be worried about bottle bombs too much.

If you're worried about bottle bombs, do a couple of the bottles in plastic PET and put all of them in a tote.

Check the plastic bottles regularly and if you notice they are starting to get over carved or may blow put them all in the fridge

I wouldn't bottle those just yet. You have about 67% attenuation so far, should be closer to 80%. Get some neutral yeast with a high alc tolerance, like CBC-1 and pitch. Give it some time.

Thank you all for replies. Now, i will today, or tomorrow bottle the beer, with champagne yeast. So what should be the optimal/true amount of yeast per liter-galon ?

2 gr of yeast should be enough for 5 gal.

Thank you. Today i bottled the beer, with champagne yeast which rehydrated with small amount of water.
And, after addition of priming sugar (about 95 gram dextrose, at 20C, for 16 liter), i took a sample, and measured the gravity. It was about 1,055 (f.g. was ~1,039). I hope it is normal.

The priming sugar addition sounds correct, assuming you want a little less carbonation than the usual 2.5 volumes.

The priming sugar addition sounds correct, assuming you want a little less carbonation than the usual 2.5 volumes.
Yes, since i nervous a bit about gravity, and because of it there is possibility that becoming bottles explode, or over carbonate, i wanted to stay at about 2,3 CO2 level.

Thank you. Today i bottled the beer, with champagne yeast which rehydrated with small amount of water.
And, after addition of priming sugar (about 95 gram dextrose, at 20C, for 16 liter), i took a sample, and measured the gravity. It was about 1,055 (f.g. was ~1,039). I hope it is normal.

The sugar amount seems correct, but the gravity sample you measured doesn't. The amount of sugar you added should have only brought it up to 1.041 or so, not 1.055.

So either something is wrong with your measurements, or your priming sugar was very poorly mixed, which presents its own problems.

The sugar amount seems correct, but the gravity sample you measured doesn't. The amount of sugar you added should have only brought it up to 1.041 or so, not 1.055.

So either something is wrong with your measurements, or your priming sugar was very poorly mixed, which presents its own problems.
Actually, at first i put the sugar mix and after rehydrated yeast, then the beer into the bottling bucket. And i did not stir it. But, the sample was from at the end of the bucket, maybe it is about. But nonetheless, look like it did not mixed well sadly.

If some of the bottles got an increase of 0.016 as your samples showed, you'll have some bottle bombs. Hopefully there was an error in reading the gravity. I would keep the bottles in a plastic tote with a lid, and wear protective gear when handling them.

Did you rack the beer into the bottom of bottling bucket on a tangent to create a swirling effect. That normally mixes the priming solution pretty well. I stir gently just to make sure, but I've bottled many batches without stirring - the swirling effect along with the beer entering at the bottom does most of the mixing.

If some of the bottles got an increase of 0.016 as your samples showed, you'll have some bottle bombs. Hopefully there was an error in reading the gravity. I would keep the bottles in a plastic tote with a lid, and wear protective gear when handling them.

Did you rack the beer into the bottom of bottling bucket on a tangent to create a swirling effect. That normally mixes the priming solution pretty well. I stir gently just to make sure, but I've bottled many batches without stirring - the swirling effect along with the beer entering at the bottom does most of the mixing.
Thank you for your reply. All bottles in a bag with a plastic beer container. And, yes i racked, also swirling created too. I have no idea about what i did wrong.

Latest posts

Back