A question about bar tops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gfei

Reaction score
I'm planning to build a bar/outdoor kitchen for our permanent campsite. What would everyone suggest for a bar top material that will hold up outdoors (it will be covered but it will probably still see some rain and other elements). I'm looking for something I can do myself for a few hundred dollars, I don't want to spend thousands on this.

My thought for the moment is concrete... but I'm looking for any other suggestions.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

+1 on concrete. I've been wanting to try that out myself. You could also look at some tile options, they can go on pretty cheap and look great without a ton of work, and probably stand up to a beating for a while. Good luck.

I did concrete on mine. As usual, I read a little bit about it and bulled my way in. It came out really well although far from perfect. My setup is rustic and very forgiving. I have a sink (drop in) and turned a corner. Also, I put a little red dye in the concrete for color to match existing structure. Just remember to seal it every year. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. - Dwain

+1 to concrete or tile. I would go for concrete. Or depending on your motif, you could try some very dense hardwood such as ipe (brazilian walnut) or teak...

Another vote for tile. Find a surplus tile place and see what you can get cheap. Since you're only doing a small area (~10sf) it should be pretty inexpensive to get something that matches.

You could fiberglass the top, it would work too.

Another vote for tile. Find a surplus tile place and see what you can get cheap. Since you're only doing a small area (~10sf) it should be pretty inexpensive to get something that matches.

You could fiberglass the top, it would work too.

Actually, it will be quite a bit larger than that. What started out as a bar so I'd have a nice place to put some beer taps has actually turned into something more like an outdoor kitchen.

We picked up a reasonably new 200 lb ice machine at an estate sale to $150 (split with my in-laws so only $75 to us). And the in-laws are getting a new trailer so they are gutting the old one to get back the new appliances they installed last year. So we're getting a propane stove/oven for free. Toss in a stainless steel sink from the habitat for humanity store fr $20 and it makes for a pretty cheap setup. The top surface will be the most expensive part of the whole thing. Even the wood for the sides will be salvaged from the in-laws old trailer.

Should be pretty sweet, I've got it drawn in sketchup and I like the look of it. I'm just waiting until I get the campsite ready enough to start moving stuff in. The whole thing works out to about 30 sq ft IIRC, what is that, about 500 lb of concrete? :drunk:.

Any top with epoxy poured over it. Epoxy will make anything under it dead sexy.

I too like the concrete idea, but to do it right requires a lot of know how and some specialty tools. That's what scared me from doing it.

Any top with epoxy poured over it. Epoxy will make anything under it dead sexy.

I too like the concrete idea, but to do it right requires a lot of know how and some specialty tools. That's what scared me from doing it.

Is there really that much in turns of specialty tools? It doesn't seem that complicated from what I've read. The hardest part looks like getting the mold in a very sturdy and level spot where you can still bang on the edges to vibrate the bubbles out.

Other than that it's just really freaking heavy and requires several people to move and manipulate.

I may just try an epoxy covered wood top just so I get something built and functioning. If I want to do a concrete top later I can always replace it.

Another vote for concrete! I was going to do that for my bar top in my basement but realize the small section I'd be lifting for kegerator portion would be 243 lbs :eek:
If it was a top that was stationary, I don't think the look can be beat.
I don't see where a 1.5" thick concrete top would require too much specialty knowledge or tools. We're not pouring a patio here. Make a form, mix your crete, pour and smooth. You can learn anything on google. BTW the 1.5" is standard for concrete counter tops.

I didn't really use any specialty tools, but getting that reinforcing wire in and getting the air bubbles out was a major PITA. I've poured a lot of concrete and it still wasn't easy. Luck in whatever you do - Dwain

Is there really that much in turns of specialty tools? It doesn't seem that complicated from what I've read. The hardest part looks like getting the mold in a very sturdy and level spot where you can still bang on the edges to vibrate the bubbles out.

Other than that it's just really freaking heavy and requires several people to move and manipulate.

I may just try an epoxy covered wood top just so I get something built and functioning. If I want to do a concrete top later I can always replace it.

Just banging on the sides isn't enough, you'd need to rent a vibrator. That's the main hassle, besides the hand tools. But it's outside, maybe you don't mind a bubble or two? I just know people's perception that ANY cement slab looks good. Slapping down a driveway and brooming it soaking wet is far different from doing a nice bar top. Of course i'm an obsessed perfectionist.

I didn't really use any specialty tools, but getting that reinforcing wire in and getting the air bubbles out was a major PITA. I've poured a lot of concrete and it still wasn't easy. Luck in whatever you do - Dwain

+1, i've poured and hand finished a lot of cement and I still shied away from doing my bartop in cement.

+1, i've poured and hand finished a lot of cement and I still shied away from doing my bartop in cement.

A good float and a steady hand will help a lot in doing a crete countertop... I have one done in my backyard... the key is making sure you reinforce it well and remember to buff polish before you stain it

I'm leaning toward using wood and either epoxying or lacquering the hell out of it, at least temporarily. I want to get this built and usable in the next few weeks or so.

I still like the concrete but there's no telling how long that will take me to get done (I'm also an obsessive perfectionist).

+1 on concrete. I built my bar top with concrete and it turned out great. I ground mine down with a diamond grinding wheel and then polished it, but there are tons of different things that you can do. A concrete bar top would also be ideal for outdoors. Here is a pic of mine.
DSC02217.jpg

Cheers

Thanks Chris

A word of advice if you decide to do concrete for your bar top. USE COASTERS....your glasses will thank you for it, especially after a few beers.:mug:

Eric

i like the epoxy. for 50 bucks you can put a good coat on a large surface area.

I do have to say i am intrigued with the concrete though. I watched someone on DIY build one a while back and they used cauk were the top would meet the sides. this didnt seal the mold but rather gave the counter edges a realy nice finished look

Back