A "nutty" yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
I am looking for a yeast that produces nutty flavors. I will be fermenting between 58-64 ambient. This will be going into a Blonde Ale

Any ideas?
:mug:

Cant really think of a distinctly 'nutty' yeast, but if nutty is what you're going for, you could try a clean yeast (like s-05) and try to get the nuttiness through the malt bill (some brown malt with a touch of biscut? marris otter has a nice 'nutty' flavor that comes through quite well when using a neutral yeast).

You could also try a nut tincture - soak some walnuts or hazelnuts in a touch of vodka and add to secondary or at bottling. Haven't tried that one myself, but I seem to recall reading something to that effect on this board.

Sorry, blonde ale . . . forget the malt bill comments.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some nut tincture experiences.

I think you should soak your nuts in vodka. Tee hee, couldn't resist.

(the recipe is in the recipe/ingredients forum "first attempt at creation" so I will not rewrite it here)

Yeah I need to be careful of the grain bill because I still want it to keep the color of a blonde but I have a little bit of victory malt in there. Other than that I am using fuggles which, if I understand it correctly, should add some nuttiness too. I could go with a light tincture of some sorts maybe but I really just want it to be the background of the beer.

I want the experience to be "I am drinking a blonde ale... ...is that... nuts??" I thought if there were a yeast out there with a nutty flavor profile it would lend the perfect amount that I need seeing as yeast flavors can be very subtle.

I cannot think of a yeast that is known for producing nutty flavors per se.

What I would do personally is go for a very clean yeast. If you have time & equipment to lager, maybe even a lager yeast. Otherwise I'd use US-05/WLP001 and ferment it in the high 50's to low 60's.

That way any nutty character you introduce via other methods (malt, hops, extracts, etc.) will stand out more than if you use something more estery.

Yeah my search might be for naught. WLP0001 was the original choice for the recipe, maybe I will just stick with it.

Wyeast 1272 comes to mind. It is nutty and great for malty pale ales or stouts. Below is description from Wyeast site.

With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. This versatile strain is a very good choice for a “House” strain. Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. It attenuates well and is reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration

1272 is more fruity. I'd try a London Ale or other British yeast (unless you don't like that English yeast characteristic, but at those low temps you won't get much of it anyways). You can check out the descriptions on the yeast manufacturer's website.

Maybe someone else will chime in with some nut tincture experiences.

I'm pretty sure posting anything like that is against forum rules.;)

I'm also thinking the yeast will not be the way to go here. If you're looking to do this without affecting the color, I'd go with a flavoring syrup, or something like that.

That hazelnut syrup they have at coffee places. Not almond though, I think that would probably just taste like cherries.

Back