A lot of Trub - What happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon extract oatmeal stout. I used Wyeast 1084 yeast. I put just over 5 gallons into the primary two weeks ago. When I racked it yesterday, there was a lot more trub than I am used to. I ended up with less than 4 gallons. Also, the yeast cake was not firm, it looked more like mud. Is this typical for this type of beer or yeast?

Did you use a new brand/batch of extract? My current lot (which I use only for yeast starters) leaves 3-4X the trub of the last batch. Oats can leave a lot of trub as well, especially if some of the oat material makes it into the kettle.

Bryan

The amount of trub that will be at the bottom of the primary depends upon the amounts of hops and specialty grain residues that eventually settle out. The depth of the trub layer will, in a way, depend upon the amount of time given for the trub layer to compact. The longer your beer is in the primary the more the trub layer will compact. Extra time in the primary after fermentation is complete can also improve the flavor of your beer.

Back