a lot of saaz and other hops: need some inspiration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I have 13 ounces of Saaz and want to brew something tasty with it. I'm into big beers (mostly IIPA and Imp Stouts) and have never lagered, though I do have a fridge to do it in. So far just Ales over the last 10 years and I moved to AG about 12 batches back. Any suggestions out there? Here's my hop inventory, I'm looking for inspiration. I have damn near 4lbs of hops and want to put a dent in the supply. I typically use the cascade, simcoe, warrior and magnum in IPA's but some of these other hops like Saaz, Fuggles, and Nugget I have less experience with.

Cascade Leaf* 7.0% 10oz
Cascade Leaf* 5,7% 6oz
Cascade Pellet 5.4% 1oz
Simcoe pellet 11.9% 1oz
Willamette Leaf 4.8% 4oz
Willamette pellet 3.4% 1/2oz
Nugget leaf 12.8%* 8oz
Nugget pellet 13% 1oz
US Saaz pellet 4.4% 13oz
Fuggles pellet 5.0% 14oz
Mt Hood pellet 4.2% 1/2oz
Spalt pellet 2.6% 3/4 oz
Perle Pellet 8.2% 3/4oz
Warrior pellet 15.8% 1/4oz
Chinook pellet 11.4% 1/2oz
Magnum pellet 12.9% 3/4oz

Thanks in advance!
-Ben

I've recently had a saaz-hopped Cali Common at a local brewery that was outstanding, it'll let you get into lager, with out worrying about all the hassle

If you'd like to try lagering

...Use like half the Saaz leaf for one brew and finish it off with the Spalt pellets at flameout.

...Use the other half of the Saaz leaf for a go with the Mt. Hood pellets.

Assuming you're making an effort to clean house a little. In an effort to try to narrow down the inventory you should at least do one that you know you can do competently, so...

...Use the 1oz Simcoe pellets and 4oz Williamette leaf for a pale ale.

...Use the 3/4oz Magnum pellets and 6oz Cascade lead for a pale ale.

...Use the 1/4oz Warrior pellets, 3/4oz Perle pellets, and 1oz Cascade pellet for a pale ale.

...Use the 1oz Nugget pellets and some of the Fuggles pellets for a pale ale.

etc.

Store several ounces out in a nontight sealing container at room temp for up to months to get stale and oxidized hops perfect for an old school lambic.

i would do a pseudo Maibock w/ perle & saaz. use Wyeast 1007 German Ale Yeast it can ferment between 55-68° F plus handle up to 11% abv. i made a batch last year and it turned out awesome.

I may do a Saaz california common, that sounds good.
Also I saw a recipe in the new Beer Advocate that has 12lbs pils malt and 4 oz saaz. It's called Boho the Hobo Pils, that sounds like a simple lager to start with. How important is step mashing: 125˚ - 20 min, 148˚ - 20 min, 153˚ - 60 min? I have a RIMS I will break in on a simpler mash and see how well it ramps towards a mashout.

Latest posts

Back