A link to how read a hydrometer please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dranderson

Reaction score
Looking everywhere for the instructions :D to this thing to no avail. Can someone post a link on how to use one?

thanks

Another thing is to make sure you have no bubbles clinging to the hydrometer. Spin your hydrometer around in the sample jar to make sure you have no "clings" on it.

For the beginning brewer, why would it matter if your hydrometer is slightly off? Most beginners will use the standard ABV = (og – fg) * 131.25 formula, and if both your og and fg are off by the same amount, it won't matter at all for this calculation. Granted, knowing your actual og/fg are important when one starts moving towards AG, and most of us are A bit detail obsessed, but for the true beginner I say the heck with adjusting for complete accuracy.

For the beginning brewer, why would it matter if your hydrometer is slightly off? Most beginners will use the standard ABV = (og – fg) * 131.25 formula, and if both your og and fg are off by the same amount, it won't matter at all for this calculation. Granted, knowing your actual og/fg are important when one starts moving towards AG, and most of us are A bit detail obsessed, but for the true beginner I say the heck with adjusting for complete accuracy.

It's only important if you want to make sure your beer is done, and avoid bottle bombs. Most people can guestimate their ABV and don't really care all that much, but having a hydrometer that is off by more than a little can mean believing the beer is finished when it's not and cause some headaches.

I thought the most reliable way to know fermentation is done is to take 3 straight SG readings a day apart, if they are the same, it's done. With that advice it doesn't matter how incorrect your hydrometer is. 1.010 3 days in a row is just the same as 1.018 three days in a row as far as doneness is concerned.
Yes or no?

I thought the most reliable way to know fermentation is done is to take 3 straight SG readings a day apart, if they are the same, it's done. With that advice it doesn't matter how incorrect your hydrometer is. 1.010 3 days in a row is just the same as 1.018 three days in a row as far as doneness is concerned.
Yes or no?

Sure. But I know very few people who would take three straight SG readings. The one on the second day is meaningless.

Maybe one today, and one in three days. And if the hydrometer isn't checked, and it's off in three days, there would be an inaccurate result. That's all I meant. It takes like 2 seconds to put the hydrometer in water, to see if it's accurate, then take the reading. It's not like it's any trouble or anything, to see if the hydrometer is reading correctly.

Yes or no?

Yes, that method sounds accurate.

I never take more than 1 reading (if I remember!), and that's while I'm kegging.

I get away with that because

1) I keg (never a risk of a bottle bomb),
2) I know where the beer should finish,
3) for whatever reason, the beers always finish when they are supposed to (ales ~ 7 days, lagers ~ 14 days).

I guess I'm a lucky guy!

Thedutchtouch said:

If all you're focusing on is ABV it doesn't matter. But if your shooting for a gravity called for in your recipe, it matters a great deal. It only takes a minute to check your hydrometer accuracy.

So is the plain water test like a calibration of sorts?

Yes.

Also, similar readings over 3 days doesn't necessarily mean the beer is finished. It could mean that it's stalled for 3 days. In some cases agitating or warming up (such as when you bottle) might restart the fermentation process.

It's good to know what your FG is supposed to be, and have an accurate hydrometer on hand to compare with.

Ok, I have a stout that should be ready to bottle this weekend, I will check the gravity tonight and see where it is at. Thanks again.

Back