A Liitle Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Kellen

Reaction score
So I made my first home brew batch, yes I'm that new, I used an American Ale 5 gallon kit with grain, LME and hops.

After fermentation, while bottling, I tried just a sample and it was very tasty filled with citrus and caramel notes.

3 weeks after bottling I tried it and again, properly carbonated with nice citrus and caramel flavor but just a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

Thoughts or recommendations on what I may have messed up?

The bitterness isn't real strong but again it's there on the finish.

Hi Scott!
Welcome to homebrewing!

[EDITS]
Sorry your beer isn't quite living up to its promise for you. Brewing beer is not exact science, aside from perishable ingredients there's a lot of process and thus variability involved. 10 brewers can brew the same recipe or kit and the resulting beers will all be quite different.

Now, sensation of bitterness can be very personal. What one thinks to be overly bitter another may say isn't quite bitter enough. Most craft beer and homebrew beer is much more bitter than say macro beer (e.g., Budweiser, Miller, Coors).

Can you point us to the kit or recipe? Where did you buy the kit?
That's always a good start.

How did you brew it?
Equipment and process used can make a big difference, even when brewed exactly to the recipe's instructions.

What kind of (commercial) beer are you used to drinking?
What kind of beer did you have in mind when you bought the kit? Anything to compare to?

Last edited:
So Brewers Best American Ale. Purchased online. Brewed according to recipe with the exception of I did not do secondary fermentation.

I do get what you're asking. I drink about any beers that are not mass marketed (except Devils Backbone there I get it from the source in VA.)

Since the fermented liquid at bottling failed to have that bitterness. Is there perhaps something in the carbonation process that could drove the bitterness?

Again my question is more about potential errors between bottling and drinking.

Brewers Best kits are generally very good from what I've read here.

Is this the kit?
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/assets/1013_americanpaleale_recipe.pdf

I did not do secondary fermentation.
Not racking to a "secondary" (vessel) was a good decision. Secondaries aren't needed for most beers, there's nothing to cure, and may or will cause problems.

It looks like you're used to drinking craft beer, so you do have experience with various and larger amounts of bitterness.
Always do a 2nd round. I'd say have another one and keep some notes on your taste (and aroma) experience.

Your mostly flat sample at bottling time is not a good representation of what the beer will be when properly conditioned and carbonated. Sure it has all the makings, but there's a lot of change during (bottle) conditioning and the carbonation process.

Carbonation enhances the sensation of drinking beer, bringing many of the flavors and aromatics up front. It also stimulates the palate and receptors in the nasal passage for a better sensory experience. Along with that comes a slightly higher acidity, which is beneficial for perception and separation of many flavors and aromas.

AFAIK, bitterness is not driven or enhanced by carbonation, but you may be able to taste it more since it's not as muddled as that early flat sample you had previously.
Most bitterness in beer comes from the hops, but darker malts (for darker beers) will add it too, similar to bitterness in coffee yet different than that from hops.

Astringency is another factor, often confused with bitterness. Astringency exhibits itself more as a dryness in the back of the mouth, cheeks, and throat, compare to sucking on a tea bag, while bitterness is tasted on the back of the tongue.

Astringency could come from increased tanning extraction due to over-steeping grain (steeping too long). Also when steeping at too high temps (>165F) and a pH that's too high (>5.8).
There's a pound of specialty malt in the kit that needed to be steeped.
  • Did you follow the steeping instructions to a T?
  • Could it be astringency?
  • What water did you use for brewing?

Last edited:
IBU listed on that kit is 37-41. Moderate but solid bittering level for a pale ale.

Is it “in your face” bitter or a late sensation in your mouth.

No it is late sensation bitterness. As ot has been continuing to condition, I've noticed the bitterness dissipating.

No I'm pretty anal about following the recipes at least first time through. That us the recipe I used, only thing I didn't do was secondary fermentation.

As my bottles continue to condition, the bitterness I was experiencing is becoming less and less.

Really enjoying it as each day passes.

Oh, and my water comes from a fresh mountain spring. Very low mineral content and perfect Ph.

DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!

My first kit was a disaster but, I kept at it and make pretty good beer now. I also drank that entire first batch as I wasn't going to just throw it out. I learned a LOT about off flavors especially what carbonized liquid malt extract does to flavor. Had little smoke bubbles rising to the top of the pot after adding the LME with the burner still on. People I bought the kit from didn't mention turning off the burner.

All the Best,
D. White

Thanks. I'm not at all discouraged I just am trying to learn so I can make the best product I can. After all, I've discriminating tastes. LOL

You might try making some smaller batches, I normally do 2 - 3 gallons. I don't think doing a single gallon is unreasonable. Find what you like and multiply everything by five to make five gallons.

This way you can experiment more and find out what you like without having to drink five gallons of something you don't like.

I started out making five gallon batches simply because that's what everyone did. Could have made a lot more variety with smaller batches, like I do now.

All the Best,
D. White

One of the real advantages to making your own beer, is you get to taste it through the entire process; and it is an ever-changing beast. Beer that has been brewed well, bottled, and left to condition, can (and most times will) taste different day to day, week to week, and (if you have patience, the number one ingredient not listed in most beer recipes) month to month or even year to year. A beer that is meh at two weeks may surprise the heck out of you a month later. It's all part of the learning process. I don't bottle often, but every once in a while I'll find a 22 I stashed away months ago and am amazed at how much the flavor has changed, mostly for the better. It's fun!!! Then depressing when I realize I don't have any more of it. Gotta brew it again!

I made an experimental Gruit with wormwood to bitter, and it was WAY too bitter. After a few months in the bottle it was excellent! Bottle conditioning is almost a form of chemical magic. I'm sure there are some things it will not fix, but I have been amazed at what it will.

Back