A hello and a big Thank You from the UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacOne

Reaction score
Firstly why I am here. Well after extensive travelling throughout the world over my life and more recently from working on Cruise Ships I tried a lot of beers around the world. I like beer full stop! As with all things in life it's getting expensive. With a knowledge and enjoyment of food and wine it seemed a logical step to get into brewing my own. So with knowledge of cooking and wine making I knew I would not be happy with kit results so in for a penny and straight into all grain. So I've now three all grain brews in and one more coming tomorrow. I'm using BeerSmith as a guide for my recipes etc. I'm currently using the BIAB method

So with that I'll move on to the Thank You! That is to all that I haven't even met yet who be answering other people's questions have given me the answer I was searching for while scratching my head. This forum has been a big help so far in helping with with the occasional hitch and explaining a lot of the terminology. So looking forward to finding my way around, getting to know some of you and hopefully over time contributing to the information.

I'm a big IPA fan especially American styles or so I found out after spending time there. Very different in style and hops used than English IPA although some of the more modern producers such as Brew Dog and their Punk IPA are changing that. So at the moment -

Southern Cross - its a maris otter pale malt based ale that uses two hops from the Australasia. Galaxy as the bite ring and flour and Wai-Iti as a last addition and dry hopping.

Myan Mystery - I fancied a dabble in something I don't often drink but was impressed by a couple I have tried recently. Its a chocolate porter and I've added chilli and chocolate Nibbs to the brew and post fermintation.

Punk IPA clone - again Maris Otter based pale malt with simcoe, Nelson sauvin, chinnock and ahtanum hops.

Next brew is a wheat, maize and pale malt I call "Bluegrass". Its a real mash of different bits and flavour editions. Called it "Bluegrass" as its an ode to a mash man called "Popcorn" Sutton.

After that it'll be an Irish Red to have some balance in the "cellar"

Next brew is a wheat, maize and pale malt I call "Bluegrass". Its a real mash of different bits and flavour editions. Called it "Bluegrass" as its an ode to a mash man called "Popcorn" Sutton.

If you like this you should try Revvy's Kentucky Common beer recipe. It's the same concept, but using Rye in the mash as well. It's good stuff!

Thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out.
Rye is a new ingredient for me not one I've used before so always open to new ideas and recipe exploration

Thanks for the Link Tippy

Looking at it I'm not too far off on the spicing as I use vanilla, cinnamon and just a fraction of star anise. I'm not sure what the anatto is so ill do a search.
Its always a work a progress as with most beers you are always thinking of ways to improve so I'm certainly open to suggestions

Annatto seed is also known as a seasoning called Achiote. I have the reddish sort of crystally kind here in the pantry. It can give a yellow to reddish color to foods. Also dissolved in oils to color & flavor them, as in Persian cooking. Flavor is sorta nutty, a lil sweet & peppery. But mild to me.

Back