A Gose by any other name...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcowbrewing

Reaction score
So for a few years now I have been doing a "family series" of beers that started when my grandfather passed. I aim for a beer that embodies the person and then name it by their first name usually. So I am planning the next one in the series to be named Rose. It started out as a simple clean beer with some flavorings, but I have since decide it will be a Gose. So here is my starting point:

41.7% Pilsner
31% Wheat
21% Flaked wheat
5% Flaked Oats
1.3% Acidulated malt
*rice hulls

Mash @ 155

IBU's to 10-15 with neutral hop

1/4tsp yeast nutrient
4 Halo's (those little oranges) - zested - 5 min. boil
0.4 oz coriander - 5 min. boil
20 g Red Alaea Salt - 5 min. boil
2 oz. Rose hips - 5 min. boil
Hibiscus - 2.5 oz steeped in boiled water for 5 min. then strained.

Yeast choices....clean or something saison?

Ferment at 65

Dry hop with a floral hop

Shooting for around 4%, nice and low.

My main questions focus on the souring. What is the best method to get the subtle souring for the Gose?

Sorry no recipe insight for you, just started my souring adventures with a gose coming soon.
But just wanted to say great idea, well played sir! May steal the recipe idea and we can toast Rose here in the Midwest too. If we make it to the NW will stop by and raise a pint for your grandpa too!

So I have tweaked a bit from some research.....not getting much in the reply department...the almost finalized recipe is as follows:

40% Pilsner
30% Wheat
10% Flaked wheat
20% Acidulated malt
*rice hulls

Mash @ 152 for 45 minutes, then add Acidulated malt, mash 45 more minutes

IBU's to 10-15 with neutral hop

1/4tsp yeast nutrient
4 Halo's (those little oranges) - zested - 5 min. boil
0.5 oz coriander - 5 min. boil
20 g Red Alaea Salt - 5 min. boil
2 oz. Rose hips - 5 min. boil
Hibiscus - 2.5 oz steeped in boiled water for 5 min. then strained.

I am thinking WLP007 or S05 or S04

Ferment at 65

Dry hop with a floral hop

Shooting for around 4%, nice and low.

My main questions focus on the souring. What is the best method to get the subtle souring for the Gose?

If you just want a slight sourness, the easiest thing to do would be to add food-grade 88% lactic acid to taste after fermentation. You're using a relatively high percentage of acid malt, and the beer pH will drop during fermentation, so you may not need to adjust the sourness of the beer at all. I've heard people complain about off flavors like a maple or pancake syrup taste when using lactic acid, though I've never experienced that myself in the batches I've soured using this method.

I currently brew goses using the kettle souring method described on Dr. Lambic's Sour Beer Blog. If you're interested in souring with bacteria instead of adding acid, take a look at the "Lactobacillus 2.0 - Advanced Techniques for Fast Souring Beer" article. It contains a detailed description of how to use bacterial cultures to create sour beers on the hot side.

I am thinking WLP007 or S05 or S04
If you arent going to use an actual souring bacteria, I would go witht he most tart yeast you can find. For me, this is hands down WLP585 Belgian Saison III. Amazingly bright, tart, adn fruity yeast. WY3711 would probably be the next runner up IMO

Latest posts

Back