A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished cleaning up from hosting Easter brunch. Shared a SMS and a Tweak with 3 non stout drinking family members. 2 of them liked the SMS, the Tweak was not liked at all.

@blizzard - I thought the Low End was decent, but nothing to write home about. Also, Base Camp Wine and Spirits in Frisco does get some Casey, but it's completely random on what and when they get it.

On to some HB from fancy glassware.

IMG_20160327_145829.jpg

Feeling much better today. Hope it's actually leaving this time. Can't be sick for our trip. Not having any beer until then... Not so easy to do, but I'm still working on being in shape and losing weight in a healthy way before the season starts. I've got 1kg to go to reach my goal. Prague might be a setback though. I might have to be one of those weird people who exercise on vacation.

That is a beautiful red color fins. 100% red x grist? (Think you said already)

Happy Easter Sunday to everyone. Another beautiful day here deep in the heart of TX.

Brought the little ones to the zoo this morning. They had a blast as usual. So did I if truth be told.

Spent the afternoon doing some very exciting tax prep and now working on my farmer-tan sipping a stupid simple HB cider in the garden. No pic. Probably not happening.

Beer to follow.

Thank you sir. I'm loving this color. And yes, it was 100% red x malt. Happy Easter!

Just finished cleaning up from hosting Easter brunch. Shared a SMS and a Tweak with 3 non stout drinking family members. 2 of them liked the SMS, the Tweak was not liked at all.

@blizzard - I thought the Low End was decent, but nothing to write home about. Also, Base Camp Wine and Spirits in Frisco does get some Casey, but it's completely random on what and when they get it.

If I'm lucky enough, I hope to catch some Casey there next week. We are only canning Monday and Tuesday so I can potentially drive up to Silverthorne Wednesday until Sunday. Fingers crossed we don't change our schedule and I get a ton of snow while there.

That was brewery release so someone sent it.

No, it was sent to me. I don't think TH has any distro outside the brewery

The first one was "local" to me. It' also a brewery-only release (tickets or membership required for purchases) and the brewery is a few hours from Denver.

What I thought, just double checking, I would have been a bit upset if they were sipping to your area. so good.

Thank you sir. I'm loving this color. And yes, it was 100% red x malt. Happy Easter!

If I'm lucky enough, I hope to catch some Casey there next week. We are only canning Monday and Tuesday so I can potentially drive up to Silverthorne Wednesday until Sunday. Fingers crossed we don't change our schedule and I get a ton of snow while there.

I know Denver is predicting snow Tues & Wed. Not sure about the mountains. Base camp has a good selection, even if they don't have any Casey. Let me know if you are gonna stop in Denver and have time for a beer or three.

Pretty damn refreshed at this point. Not a clue what I just opened. Dinner was good, but I probably should have had lunch. Offered to do dishes, so at least I can relax in solitude for a bit.

Well shoot, I stand corrected. I liked regular low end when I had it. This one was wet-hopped and was meh.

What I thought, just double checking, I would have been a bit upset if they were sipping to your area. so good.

I hear ya.

11th Hour IPA here. in-laws made me a T-Bone steak for lunch. my wife made an amazing salad and roasted potatoes. and we made a cheesecake for dessert. it sounds like tacos for supper tonight.

I know Denver is predicting snow Tues & Wed. Not sure about the mountains. Base camp has a good selection, even if they don't have any Casey. Let me know if you are gonna stop in Denver and have time for a beer or three.

Will do! I may be stopping at Crooked Stave to replace my broken glass from them. Dont have a plan yet though and if its snowing I may not be stopping at all, unless I'm forced to stay at the nearest hotel to Falling Rock due to conditions. I'll keep you posted.

11th Hour IPA here. in-laws made me a T-Bone steak for lunch. my wife made an amazing salad and roasted potatoes. and we made a cheesecake for dessert. it sounds like tacos for supper tonight.

Yada-yada-yada. I read this without pics and wonder what your right hand was really doing...

The part of my barleywine that didn't fit in the jag. I put in a growler, put in cooper tabs and it is quite nice right now. Oh, and I'm wasted.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459119326.035499.jpg

Oh, and with the classic Easter pizza.

Damn it... if I wanted to be made hungry, I'd go into the "What Did I Cook" thread!

There might be some leftovers in the fridge, otherwise I am looking at a "wish sandwich" for dinner.

Happy Easter folks ... the weef brought home a French press yesterday to replace the ol' perker. so i fired it up this a.m. what a pita this thing is :mad: may have to go to the K cups again ... :smack:

Happy Easter folks ... the weef brought home a French press yesterday to replace the ol' perker. so i fired it up this a.m. what a pita this thing is :mad: may have to go to the K cups again ... :smack:

No!!!!!!! There is no better cuppa than you will get from a French press. You need an electric kettle to go with it and it is so easy.

Also, I keep getting these RIS that have the distinct dark fruit favors I associate with Quads and Dubbels.

Tell me how to get that flavor in my beers. I want that all of the time. Or at least on a decent Friday night.

A few different ways. Certain Belgian yeasts (e.g. Chimay) have a distinct cherry ester to them. Also, certain dark malts have some fruity qualities to them (I get cherry from 120L and some raisin or plum from Special B). Thirdly, dark malts and candi sugar have a distinct dark fruit profile with age/oxidation. My Scotch ale gets there after about 12 months and starts to get very quad-like the longer it ages after that. Then there's the option of actually adding fruits like fig or dates (I have a dark saison I make with D-180, pureed dates, and fig preserves that is great at festivals).

A few different ways. Certain Belgian yeasts (e.g. Chimay) have a distinct cherry ester to them. Also, certain dark malts have some fruity qualities to them (I get cherry from 120L and some raisin or plum from Special B). Thirdly, dark malts and candi sugar have a distinct dark fruit profile with age/oxidation. My Scotch ale gets there after about 12 months and starts to get very quad-like the longer it ages after that. Then there's the option of actually adding fruits like fig or dates (I have a dark saison I make with D-180, pureed dates, and fig preserves that is great at festivals).

Gah... Is Toby trying to out science the @UntaggableOne?

Continuing the #badSundayDecisions.

View attachment 1459126566447.jpg

Mark's Quad has figs. It's really great.

I'll start with malts.

Belgian Blond, first and only beer of the night. Need to finish chores I got backed up on over the weekend and then go to bed. I'm going to try to slam out three brew days next weekend (the Wheat Mild and IPA I meant to brew a month ago, and the Oat Mild getting rebrewed for NHC just in case) in addition to judging another comp (none in the running for this one though).

No!!!!!!! There is no better cuppa than you will get from a French press. You need an electric kettle to go with it and it is so easy.

I have ditched the French press for my Melitta pourover. The electric kettle is the best thing ever though.

Doing a little hop whispering hoping my cascades will yield enough hops to use for something come harvest time
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459127128.593797.jpg

My centennial just broke ground today
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1459127154.644510.jpg

Now just waiting for the Columbus rhizome to catch up.

Latest posts

Back