A few random things this noob has learned along the way.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarlotto

Reaction score
I have brewed about 13 batches so far and am still learning things as I go. I have done 9 extract homebrews and the rest have been all grain. Here's a few random things I have learned/ Experienced.

1) Fermcaps kick ass. Tried them in my last boil and boy did it make a difference. No more boil-over.

2) Kegs are so so so much better! It saves tons of time!

3) Who would have thought a stupid thing as a auto siphon clamp would make a diff. I can't believe I did not have one for the last 12 batches

4) Fermentation chamber brings everything to the next level. No more changing bottles of ice and worrying about the temp. After 3 batches with hot alcohol taste I had to build one out of a mini fridge.

5) Just made a stir plate and making starters really does help.

6) The more I brew the more annoyed my wife gets. "it will only take 3 hours" HaHa more like 4 to 5.

7) Whirlfloc tabs really do make homebrew clear up nicely.

8) Brewing is a bottomless $$$ pit. I go to the homebrew store for just a few ingredients and end up spending way more on more equipment.

9) It is like therapy watching the yeasties do there job. Love to hear the airlock bubble.

Well there you go a bunch of random thoughts. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. I have learned so much. I guess I better become a paying member now. :mug:

I can't wait till I can accomplish #4. Crappy apartment + nosey toddler make for a sticky situation in that regard. Cheers!

1 & 3 are priceless.

8) Brewing is a bottomless $$$ pit. I go to the homebrew store for just a few ingredients and end up spending way more on more equipment.

For me anyway, this has gotten easier over time. I pretty much have all the gizmos I need. I have maybe half a dozen "wants" left on my list now.

The other side of the coin is that the upgrades you will want to make later end up costing WAY more money.

I haven't tried Whirlfloc yet but based on the amount of people talking about it all the time I may have to try it.

After 125 batches.,

Whirlfloc is good. I have not found if a stir plate is bang for buck worth it yet but I only do 5g batches (some award winners).

Kegs save time but it's harder to have 5 to 7 styles all cold at the same time :) and are less portable.

auto siphon clamp? seriously - what is it ?

it IS 3 hours . . unless you AG it.

Brewing is a bottomless $$$ pit
There is a bottom, just a long way down.

I feel ya on #8. I'll go to pick up some yeast or something small and end up buying 60$ worth of stuff. Or it will be payday and I will be on amazon justify another purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A buddy of mine at work actually thought it would be cheaper to brew his own beer, until he factored in equipment.

A buddy of mine at work actually thought it would be cheaper to brew his own beer, until he factored in equipment.

Then once you get the equipment, it becomes a matter of time until it actually is cheaper to brew your own.

I don't get why people are always so hung up on the cost "savings" aspect of a HOBBY.

The Cost savings is what I use to justify my time and equipment to my SWMBO Honey, Just think that WE are able to make 5 gallons of beer for only $22.00 wow. (Hope she doesn't read this)

[QUOTE=acarlotto;
9) It is like therapy watching the yeasties do there job. Love to hear the airlock bubble.

I like this one...when at work I tell my wife the yeast is hard at work too.

And when we go to bed I tell her the yeast is still working...24 hrs. a day!!:ban:

The wife will never believe your brewing timeline. She will always assume it will take 2hrs longer than its supposed to.

The wife will never believe your brewing timeline. She will always assume it will take 2hrs longer than its supposed to.

She's_right_you_know_meme.jpg

Also, throw your top-off water in the fridge (or freezer) before you start brewing. Helps bring the temperature down to pitching levels really fast.

Nice list sir.

I wouldn't call myself a noob, but not incredibly experienced. I have done roughly 20 batches, some 1 gal, 2 gal, 5 gal...some HME, some partial mash, some all grain.

The most important lesson I learned - the hard way - is proper pitching temperature and fermentation temperature....Fortunately I learned this lesson early on.

I did 2 caribou slobbers. 1 was my second batch ever - I pitched at 82-84 degrees and it stayed in my room closet at mid 70s for fermentation. I later did another one, pitched in mid 60s and kept it at mid 60s for the entire fermentation....1 turned out great, 1 tasted pretttttttty bad!

I will add, get a dedicated large sink with a sideboard. That was probably the best thing I did. Just makes life so easier

IMO, the hardest thing for a noob brewer to learn is patience. Yes, you can bottle your beer after a week, and drink it a week after that, but it'll be better if you let it sit for a while.
You don't have to open the fermenter every day to check gravities.
You won't always have action 12 hours after pitching.
It's actually pretty hard to truly screw up a beer to the point of needing to dump a batch.
Unless the dog starts drinking out of the bucket as you turn around to get your yeast, or the kid thinks it's funny to dump his diaper bin in there...

Back