A day in Traverse City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OsbornBrewing

Reaction score
Arrived at 11 am
Blue Tractor - not a micro-brewery; Bell's Two Hearted and North Peak's Archangel on tap

North Peak - our server put their seasonals on the sampler for us; so Heffeweissen, Northern Light Lager, North Peak Pale, Steelhead Red (aged in oak, good taste/idea), Mission Point Porter, Shirley's Irish Stout, Bitter Pale Ale - traditional and cask. Cask Bitter Pale Ale was AWESOME

Mackinaw Brewing Company - their sampler was pretty predictable: G.T. Golden, Peninsula Pale Ale, Red 8 Amber, Cherry Heritage Lager (too much cherry emphasis + lager = BOOO), Harvest Moon Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Whitecap. The bartender poured us an "off
Menu" sampler of a aged Vanilla Irish Stout, I would buy that beer to take home.

Red Ginger - Sushi, Sashimi and Short's Magician which almos overpowered the sushi, but was an excellent pairing with fish and wasabi.

U&I taphouse - Short's Huma Lupa Licious, and Keweenaw Widow Maker Black IPA

Right Brain Brewing Company - OMG! FINALLY made it to this place, had their sampler full of sheer beer tastyness!! Distill My Heart Bourbon Barrell Stout and TC 350 IPA brought home Growler's of both, I HIGHLY doubt they make it to yhe end of the week.
In addition to those two they were also serving Something Bright Extra Pale Ale (not overly hoppy, tasted great after the walk there), The Hawk Ale Amber, Threesome Stout (Cinnamon, Chocolate and Vanilla?), Black "Eye" PA (want to drive an hour back to get a growler of this, it's THAT good), Trotsky Stout, River Raft Brown Ale, Cask Conditioned Ale.
I asked about the Peanut Butter and Jelly, and the bartender poured us one special!! It's a black and tan, the original was a Peanut Butter Stout they had on tap at the time, ours was the Peanut Butter Porter they will start serving next week and their Cherry Pale Ale, any fruit beer, raspberry, strawberry, watermelon, etc will work for the "jelly" as long as it's tan. (Traverse City is home of the international cherry festival and a mecca of the cherry world, so they make about everything with cherries)
The cool thing about Right Brain is they have no flagship beer, they all rotate, he never makes the same IPA twice, so what I had won't be what you have when you go. Have some hair, they are behind Salon-Saloon, so you can get a trim, scalp massage and a pint, which is awesome! If you are in Western Michigan this is a MUST SEE stop.

Apache Grill - Bell's Oberon and fish dinner

Firefly - neat club/bar no recollection of what I had here, and my notes are unreadable.

An AWESOME tour of Traverse City and great sampling of TC and Michigan microbrews.
Can't stress enough, if you're in or near TC stop at Right Brain, you won't be upset.

OMG.... This post made my eyes as big as a dinner plate...

I live in Traverse City. I am glad you enjoyed some of the finer places around here... except for fire fly... that place is just prissy and brutal. I will never go there.

U&I is my favorite drinking bar because all of the summer folk go to the more tourist type places, everyone I ask calls them the "hip" or "modern" places. Hence the reason Fire Fly makes me puke when I see it.

Northpeak and Mackinaw also are not good at all. Though I do obviously compare them to Right Brain so it is not fair, but compared to Right brain they may as well drop off the planet. In fact I am still in amazement at what Right Brain produces every time I go there. I have never in my life heard of a brewery that rotates and experiments the way they do. The thing is that it is so hidden and not advertised that they make all the money they need to make a decent living for all employees and do what they love... brewing and serving different beers every day.

I really am surprised by this post because it is hard to imagine that someone was that close to this little (ok, only little in the winter, but doubles in population in summer) city.

What brought you up here anyway?

I'm now a big fan of Right Brain Brewery after sampling several of their selections at the MI Summer Beer Festival. I had their Snuggle Bunny Vanilla Cinnamon Stout, and it was without a doubt one of the best beers I had at the festival. The vanilla and cinnamon flavors were just right, and didn't overpower the beer at all. I'm actually going to attempt to make something similar for my next brew session.

Whenever I'm in the area next I'm definitely going to stop by and check out the pub.

I will be there sometime next week. Right Brain Brewing is the only one I liked out of the breweries. If you are still in Northern Michigan you should try to go to Short's Brewing.

Also, I heard Jolly Pumpkin is up in Traverse City now. Anyone been there yet?

I think Mackinaw does some stuff pretty good, but if you compare to Right Brain it's all unfair!

I'm curious to see how things are going up there since RB let go of their brewmaster, John Neidermaier (sp), and the assistant brewer quit soon after. I hear Russ is now the main brewer and I'm sure he's quite capable. Someone told me that John, Russ and Shorts (from Shorts Brewing) all brewed together at one time. I think it was at Traverse Brewing Company.

Anyway, their recipe rotation and penchant for the creative was what made them stand out IMO. That and their beer was always great.

And I don't think I could have got past the second stop on your tour without blurred notes!

Mackinaw is making good "traditional" beers, true to style, nothing was bad or boring. At the same time nothing stood out and said TAKE ME HOME!

North Peak rotates a hand pulled cask, was REALLY good. Their Amber is aged in oak. They don't serve the beers they ship, like to Blue Tractor, at the brewery. They have spent as much time on their menu as they have on beer and it shows. They have a great location and good experience.

Right Brain you can tell these guys want to brew beer. The food was packaged pretzels and popcorn. This is not bad. They have pit all their emery into making beer, and it shows. If they've changed brewmasters I couldn't tell. The servers even know Gravity, SRM and IBUs of the beer and what that all means, they're not just regurgitating a spreadsheet. Go to Right Brain for beer and you will be more then satisfied.

We are in Roscommon on Higgins Lake, it was raining and we were looking for something to do since it was raining. I remembered TC from the cherry festivals so we headed out for a beer adventure! We weren't
let down.

Michigan beer DOES rock!

Wow! Ran across these posts and just had to say something!!! Corey at Right Brain does not even compare to the ex-brew master. If you can't tell the difference than you probably did not have ample opportunity to enjoy John's beer. I did try Russ/Corey's beer a couple of times and it was really bad. Flat, sharp aftertaste, strange flavor. Me and my friends don't even bother with Right Brain anymore - now Shorts is the premium beer in North MI.

I find it amusing (not really) that Right Brain advertised around John's brewing style and then poof he was gone, and no mention of him. Not sure where the advertising is headed now. I'm very curious to get back up there and drink some more of their beer though. If for nothing else than to see how it compares.

I here John is getting investors to start a new brewery up there.

And Shorts will be on my agenda if and when I do get back up that way!

Right Brain was without a doubt the tops of the tour we did in Traverse City. I get out there once maybe twice a year, so I'm too far removed from brewer drama to know any of that. It's clearly run by people who love beer and making great beer.
We're headed to Beer and Brats at Crystal Mtn, and Right Brain is already in the plan as well. That's how highly we thought of it.
I brought a Growler of their Threesome Stout back with me, and 2 weeks later passed it around my homebrew club. It was killed before one trip around the room, and three guys headed up to TC to go check out Right Brain because of it. If John? Made significantly better beer I'll make sure to check out whatever place he lands at!

CHEERS

I hate dredging up an old thread, but being local to Traverse City, I decided to check out Right Brain yesterday based on all the raves I have read on this site. The wife and I were excited to try some really good beer, and we promptly laid down the $15.00 for their 6-beer sampler.

I didn't keep the little sheet they gave us (planned on it, but forgot) so I am missing some of the names of the beers, but I will try to give you enough info to go on.

The first beer was the Goldfinger. This is a Pale Ale and it was pretty good. It wasn't anything to get excited about, in my opinion.

The second was their Natorator Rye IPA. It was everything I have come to know as an IPA and though it was good, I don't feel it was anything to write home about (though here I sit writing on the forum about it).

Now comes the bad part. The next three beers were sour beers. Now I have had a lot of beers in my life. I have literally been around the world twice in the Navy and have sampled many (and I do mean many) beers around the world, both good and bad, but I have never met a beer I couldn't finish.

Until yesterday.

The first sour beer, the Faux Northern Hawk Owl Amber literally tasted like grapefruit. By their website description, "This barrel aged Northern Hawk Owl Amber ale has sour notes with a mix of malty flavor." I hated it, as did my wife, but we managed to finish this one. This would be the last.

The fourth beer is not listed on their website, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, so let me just say it was even more sour than the grapefruit beer above. We took a taste a piece and that was it. We were done with this one.

But the fifth... Wynona's Sour Puss, I expected for obvious reasons to be sour. Wow. Vinegar. Pure, carbonated vinegar. Why would someone brew vinegar and call it beer? This was really, really nasty stuff. Now I have this vinegary, grapefruity taste in my mouth and and no Pale Ales left to cleans the pallet. Our only hope was the one remaining beer...

The last beer was a dark beer. I LOVE dark beers. I was excited about trying this one. I was hoping it would be good and it would clean out the offensive tastes still lingering in my mouth. This beer was called the "Black Mamba". The website desctiption is, This brew is our Black "Eye".P.A. aged in rye whiskey barrels with raisins and cinnamon. My desctiption is "Served warm, heavy taste of pepper and something got scortched in the brewing process."

I really wish RBB had lived up to what I had read here. I don't know if the change in brewers had anything to do it because I hadn't visited this place prior to the change, but I won't be going back. I felt I needed to offer my experience to those that might be considering the trip.

Another crappy beer by RBB is Pie Whole. They bought 75 apple-caramel pies from Grand Traverse Pie Company and adding them whole as they brewed. The reviews on this beer were "overpriced and incredibly bad". They ended up dumping it. Beware if you go there...I suggest you beg the server for a taste before ordering anything.

Dang. They wasted all those caramel apple pies on that? One of my malty pale ales would've been good with them. So I guess the verdict is,find out where the old brew master went.?...

Just got back from Shorts in Bellaire. Holy cow, what a great experience! The sampler (though only 5 beers) was only $8.95 and everything I tasted was great. The food was awesome, although expensive, and service was great as well. Too bed they are a bit out of the way.

Dang. They wasted all those caramel apple pies on that? One of my malty pale ales would've been good with them. So I guess the verdict is,find out where the old brew master went.?...
Unionrdr - The old brew master (John Niedermaier) is in the process of opening his own brewery in Traverse City. Cool project going by the name of Brewery Terra Firma (Terra Firma = "Solid Earth" or "Stable Earth") that will be a brewery and farming operation in one location. Kinda like a winery with vineyard on site. You can check out the details and keep up on the news at the Brewery Terra Firma Facebook page. There are some details about the project in the "Discussions" section and the proposed site plan and building design are in the photos section.

Unionrdr - The old brew master (John Niedermaier) is in the process of opening his own brewery in Traverse City. Cool project going by the name of Brewery Terra Firma (Terra Firma = "Solid Earth" or "Stable Earth") that will be a brewery and farming operation in one location. Kinda like a winery with vineyard on site. You can check out the details and keep up on the news at the Brewery Terra Firma Facebook page. There are some details about the project in the "Discussions" section and the proposed site plan and building design are in the photos section.

Sounds like one heck of a project! I'll have to take a look at that...

Ok, so I took a whois lookup of this place and got a name and address. Enter that into Google and get a GPS location and a link to the entry.

108 E. Front Street, Traverse City, MI

About the business:
Brew is an independent café and coffeehouse located at 108E Front Street in Traverse City, Michigan. Brew will offer customers a wide variety of delicious beverages, including coffee, tea, ...

From the Owner:
Brew offers a wide variety of delicious beverages, including coffee, tea, espresso drinks, microbrews, and local wines, along with pastries, grilled sandwiches, soups, salads, and wraps.

All from Google.

Link to the Google Map Page with Street Level

And I think they have a facebook page, but facebook is blocked at work and I am too lazy to unblock it for myself for a few minutes.

The first sour beer, the Faux Northern Hawk Owl Amber literally tasted like grapefruit. By their website description, "This barrel aged Northern Hawk Owl Amber ale has sour notes with a mix of malty flavor." I hated it, as did my wife, but we managed to finish this one. This would be the last.

The fourth beer is not listed on their website, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, so let me just say it was even more sour than the grapefruit beer above. We took a taste a piece and that was it. We were done with this one.

But the fifth... Wynona's Sour Puss, I expected for obvious reasons to be sour. Wow. Vinegar. Pure, carbonated vinegar. Why would someone brew vinegar and call it beer? This was really, really nasty stuff. Now I have this vinegary, grapefruity taste in my mouth and and no Pale Ales left to cleans the pallet.

Apparently RBB's equipment became infected with good old lactobacillus bacteria. Were the nasty sour beers Alleydude mentioned in his post meant to be something else, then labeled as sours after the bacteria turned them all vinegar-like? Judge for yourself - Here's a link to the newsletter that RBB sent out last week. Read the whole thing, but pay particular attention to paragraph 5.

What was the source of the lactobacillus, you might ask? RBB did not offer an explanation in the newsletter, tho' they did blame a "bad gasket" for the introduction of the bacteria. According to Wikipedia, many species of lactobacillus are "...prominent in decaying plant material". The article also states "In humans, they (lactobacillus) are present in the vagina and the gastrointestinal tract..." Ick.

Kinda makes you wonder what the heck is going on back in the brew house, doesn't it? :confused:

What was the source of the lactobacillus, you might ask? RBB did not offer an explanation in the newsletter, tho' they did blame a "bad gasket" for the introduction of the bacteria. According to Wikipedia, many species of lactobacillus are "...prominent in decaying plant material". The article also states "In humans, they (lactobacillus) are present in the vagina and the gastrointestinal tract..." Ick.

Kinda makes you wonder what the heck is going on back in the brew house, doesn't it? :confused:

Hence the name, Wynona's Sour Puss...?

It's a shame they pass off a mistake as a finished product.

From the newsletter:

However, we discovered that a fair number of people really like this style of beer. We are still not going to do this as a regular stint, but we can for fun.

Unfortunately, I was not one of those. Thanks for the follow up, that does explain a lot.

I was up there in the Fall when they had two batches "infected".. but, they where pretty dang tasty as they where serving them; one was a nice sour Pumpkin. I suspect the infection got worse.

I almost thought I was at Jolly Pumpkin in Bolles Harbor?

Back