A couple questions about heating a fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you really get much heat from the CFL? I seem to remember the fluorescent bulbs themselves do not create much heat (part of their energy conserving properties) and that if anything the transformer would be the only thing to make any heat.

Did you really get much heat from the CFL? I seem to remember the fluorescent bulbs themselves do not create much heat (part of their energy conserving properties) and that if anything the transformer would be the only thing to make any heat.

Yup. But my basement doesn't dip below is 60f ambient and I'm only bringing fermenter temp to a max of 70f after fermentation. It does that no problem and still cycles the bulb off and on. I don't really pay attention to how often. Freezer is 7cf

For those of you using the light bulb in a paint can, how many degrees over ambient is this capable of heating? I am going to build a fermentation chamber in my detached garage, which could drop near freezing in the winter. My chamber is going to be a little less than 9 cubic feet of space.

Back