A couple of question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
So one of my question is can I use a 1.053 gravity beer yeast be used washed and used for a barley wine. And my second question is can i do an extract barely wine?

So one of my question is can I use a 1.053 gravity beer yeast be used washed and used for a barley wine. And my second question is can i do an extract barely wine?

Yes, and yes!

For the first, I wouldn't even rinse or wash the yeast. I'd collect the slurry from the first batch, and then use mrmalty.com's pitching calculator for the barleywine. It should be quite a bit less than the entire yeast cake.

And, you can easily do an extract barleywine. If you need recipe ideas, I'm sure there are many of us that can help you out!

I would check with the yeast manufacturer as to the alcohol capacity of the yeast, some don't do high gravity brews as well, and for a Barley Wine I would always do a starter to wake up and fortify the yeast, but absolutely yeast can be re-used successfully.

Using extract, as long as it is fresh, doesn't have very many limits in terms of what you can brew. And for high gravity beers, they're great.

Ok cool both great answers thank you; I'll make sure I do a yeast starter before, do I have to build it up a couple times before I use it? And I will definitely ask if I need help but most likely will lol but I won't be able to get the slurry from the kraeusen- if that's wat u mean- because the yeast cake is gone but I can wash it

Ok cool both great answers thank you; I'll make sure I do a yeast starter before, do I have to build it up a couple times before I use it? And I will definitely ask if I need help but most likely will lol but I won't be able to get the slurry from the kraeusen- if that's wat u mean- because the yeast cake is gone but I can wash it

You probably have more than enough yeast in a yeast cake, so you wouldn't have to do a starter. Consult a yeast pitching calculator (mrmalty.com has one) to use the right amount.

If you say the "yeast cake is gone", I don't know what you mean. If you threw it away, you can't use it. If you have it, use it. When you harvest yeast, unless top cropping English strains, the yeast cake is what you use.

You probably have more than enough yeast in a yeast cake, so you wouldn't have to do a starter. Consult a yeast pitching calculator (mrmalty.com has one) to use the right amount.

If you say the "yeast cake is gone", I don't know what you mean. If you threw it away, you can't use it. If you have it, use it. When you harvest yeast, unless top cropping English strains, the yeast cake is what you use.

I must be confusing yeast cake with krauesen, that's what im referring to as yeast cake, but if your just taking about the bottom of the barrel yeast I get what your saying.

Back