A couple new kegger questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
I got myself into kegging today, picked up a keg, co2 tank, regulator, and fridge off CL. Still researching and trying to figure out how I want to build/expand my system.

When I transfer from fermenter to keg, carb, can I then disconnect from gas and age. For example, a stout I want to age for 6 months, is the keg now just a big bottle?

Can you "tap" a keg, disconnect it from gas to save for later, then reconnect?

How long does a 5 lb co2 tank last? How many kegs?

How long does a keg on tap last? Or how soon does the keg need drank?

Yes, basically, a pressurized keg is just a giant bottle.

As long as you sanitize the quick disconnect and post, you can disconnect and reconnect as many times as you'd like.

Here is a link showing how many kegs that CO2 tanks of varying sizes can serve. This is assuming they are already carbed when you connect them. If you are carbing and serving, it is going to be far less. I average about 15-20 kegs with my 15 lb cylinder, so I'd guess 5-6 out of a 5 lb cylinder.

I hear that a keg can last 3 months in a kegerator before it starts to lose its freshness, depending on the style. Personally, I think that's a load of crap. I've never had one last longer than a month. :D

My personal bit of advice is to buy a second (and preferably larger) CO2 cylinder. That way if/when your cylinder is out, you can just connect your second one and then get the other one filled at your convenience. Nothing's worse than when you have some friends over to show them your new cool kegerator, and you're out of CO2.

That was my plan, to get a 20 lb co2 cylinder. I like having a backup, always having a full tank to switch. I think I have 5 or 6 propane tanks, lol.

I have 2 20#rs and a 5. It a bit of a drive to get them filled so I wait till both big ones are empty and do it in one trip. It depends on where you get them filled but for me it ~$20 to fill the 5 and ~$28 to fill the 20s. Service fees and hazardous materials surcharge etc is the same no matter the size.

I like the little guy for emergencys or doing service work, pushing from a fermenter, purging for a kettle sour or to take to a party with a keg, or to put out small fires.

I usually refill the little guy myself from a fresh big one, if you have to ask how, don't try it.

Edit: I am originally from PA and my brother's name is Dave. He still lives there and is also a home brewer.

Another option is to naturally carb with corn sugar. Treat it like you would before bottling and add the appropriate amount of corn sugar to reach desired CO2 volumes. I'll occasionally get an overcarbed keg with this method, so I started using 75% of the corn sugar. If it's a little low on CO2 volume it'll get back up after a week or so once cooled and connected to the CO2. I have limited space in my kegerator so I typically naturally carb all my kegs. Only drawback, IMO, is you get a little extra junk at the bottom of the keg. But that pulls out with the first 1/2 pint and the rest runs clear until empty. This method also drastically reduces your CO2 usage.

Another option is to naturally carb with corn sugar. Treat it like you would before bottling and add the appropriate amount of corn sugar to reach desired CO2 volumes. I'll occasionally get an overcarbed keg with this method, so I started using 75% of the corn sugar. If it's a little low on CO2 volume it'll get back up after a week or so once cooled and connected to the CO2. I have limited space in my kegerator so I typically naturally carb all my kegs. Only drawback, IMO, is you get a little extra junk at the bottom of the keg. But that pulls out with the first 1/2 pint and the rest runs clear until empty. This method also drastically reduces your CO2 usage.

Thanks for reminding me of this option. Do you just hit the keg with gas after filling to seal it?

Update: 7 months later, I just got around to filling my first keg. I had to get the CO2 tank re certified, I replaced the spigot with a Perlick flow control, got all new lines, everything is set up ready to go. Almost seemed too easy compared to bottling, feels like I forgot something.

Back