A cigarette lighter on my panel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBBF

Reaction score
Time for some outside the box thinking...

I've decided to go with an non Auber PID, which needs a 12-24VDC power supply. I have 1 chugger pump and was planning on getting something like the 12V US Solar one at some point. Since I will already be converting some of the power to DC, why not power the pump directly? I could go a couple why with this, like getting little DC jack from radio shack or I could go with a cigarette lighter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001U4ZZPK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you think of amp draw - how much does the pump pull, how much is the plug and socket rated for, how much can your wiring support, how much can your transformer support...

That will work fine for those pumps, but to be honest if you are going to the trouble of making a panel, I would set it up for the future to wire in 2 chuggers. For now you can always plug in a wall wort or brick for the solar pump. The small pumps work very well for what they are, but chances are someday it will be replaced with something bigger and you will be glad that wired it for 120v the first time.

Agree. Not necessarily agree on the "you will upgrade", but I agree about just going standard outlets. Those cig lighters you linked are $8! Ouch. I used a standard $1 15a outlet and then jacked a laptop charger from IT to get DC. Plus that way I can always plug a lamp to test, air pump if I decide to go that route for HLT mixing, etc.

Latest posts

Back