A/C compressor only usable above 61F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a DIY glycol chiller for cold crashing and making lagers. It's a typical 5000 BTU A/C conversion. I read in the manual that the compressor won't work below 61F. I don't know anything about refrigeration, but is this typical?

I had planned to put the chiller in the garage with the rest of my brewing gear, but it's about 44F there this time of year.

This has something to do with the weight of the oil they used in the compressor. In colder ambient temps, it gets too viscous to do the job and the compressor overheats. I killed a relatively new chest freezer in my cold 40F garage and later found out the minimum ambient was rated for 55F.

Rats.

OK then, maybe I can put the chiller in the utility room which is on the other side of the garage wall.

Am I crazy to run glycol lines through the wall? I'm using 3/8" silicone lines, what sort of hardware is used to do this?

I guess I could move the fermenter and the chiller to the utility room, but then to transfer wort I would need to either have a long run to the fermenter (20') or need to put the fermenter on a mobile base to move it near the door that opens to the garage.

Last edited:
Great idea! That keeps my whole brewery in the garage where I can make a mess, and the noise of the chiller running won't be an issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Back