95% Apparent Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve271828

Reaction score
So I brewed a "Dubbel" like 5 weeks back. The recipe included 1.25 lbs of sugar and the OG came out to 1.075. I mashed low, at 147F, you know, for digestibility. I let the mash sit overnight and started the sparge in the morning because it was the only way I could fit a brew day in that weekend. This was also the first time using my new cooler mash tun (I had previously been BIABing). Fermented with part of a cake from a previous fermentation (Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale).

Fast forward to last night when I finally take a sample. FG: 1.004. The aroma on it is not bad, some dark dried fruit, little bit of roast (oops). The taste is ok in the front, probably too roasty, but the finish is extremely dry, like a red wine. It also really accentuates the hop bitterness in a harsh way. In addition, there is some alcohol warmth/hot alcohol flavors.

I almost want to dump it but that would be such a waste of money. I'm thinking of just bottling it and forgetting about it for a year. I also thought of maybe adding maltodextrin or lactose. My other idea was to make a small batch of wort with 2-row and some crystal, mash it at like 158F and add it to the batch to try to even it out. I'm looking for suggestions but I also just wanted to vent about this batch gone awry.

Let it roll, if you don't like it then take it as a lesson and hope one of your friends likes it.

I'm thinking of just bottling it and forgetting about it for a year

This would be the best option. Don't go messing with beers before they're even carbonated, chilled, and conditioned. You don't have a clue what the end product will be like in 3 months, much less 1 year or beyond. Why do something to it now that you won't be able to change later? That's just a great way to ruin a beer. Patience.

A long mash like you did will always result in a super fermentable wort. Try just mashing for an hour to an hour and a half next time. I'd say lay down the bottles for a while and try them periodically.

Damn you guys were right, I just let it sit for a while and it has smoothed out a lot. When I brought it to a homebrew meeting the other night one of the members, who is a BJCP judge, was impressed with the aroma in particular. There is still somewhat of a lingering bitter/dry finish but I think it may be the result of oversparging.

Back