92% mash efficiency. Is it possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
This morning I'm cleaning up around my work bench and I go put away my malt measuring container and scale from last weeks brew. I suddenly realize that my container has the last 1.5 lb malt in it from the batch that i brewed last week. The best part is I still hit all my numbers, which means i had a 92% mash eff an 84% brewhouse.:D anyone else get that high a mash eff

From what I've read you should always get above 90% mash efficancy (conversion efficiancy). I always do when I get my grains milled from the LHBS. If I get them milled from more beer I get more like 70% and my brewhouse efficiancy drops to like 50%... Can't wait to get my own mill.

This batch was my first attempt at using RO water and adjusting the PH and mineral content with salts and acids. So I was surprised by the higher then normal eff. The best I've had was 83%

Yeah I usually get 90% mash conversion when I mill my own grains. It's possible. You just have to be awesome todo it

Back