90 minute Hop Addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradford0113

Reaction score
Been a member on here for quite some time but not very active. Been BIAB brewing 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon kettle for about 5 years now and have pretty good process getting consistent 85% conversion.

I have been trying some new things lately. Last week I did a FWH for the first time. Tonight I decided to do a 90 minute boil instead of the typical 60 minute. For some reason I thought I was going to FWH again but my recipe only called for the first hops at 60 minutes. So the 60 minute hop addition went in as soon as I pulled the bag and right before I turned on the burner. I have to stick with the 90 minute boil to get my volumes and OG correct. My software is telling me that my IBUs should only increase by 3 IBU with the extra 30 minutes but will I see any other affects of boiling the 60 minute addition for 90 minutes?

Most of the hop bittering will happen in the first 30 minutes and by the time 60 minutes have passed the hop oils should be nearly completely isomerized so the extra 30 minutes should do nearly nothing.

Latest posts

Back