90 Minute Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden512

Reaction score
Hey all. Brewing a 65% Wheat 35% Pilsner Hefeweizen this upcoming weekend. Was just wondering if a 90 minute boil would be needed with this amount of pils. I did a 90 minute boil with my Helles but that had a lot more in it. Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

a 90 minute boil with Pilsner malt has been standard practice for a long time. That being said many have successfully done 60 minute boils with pilsner. I generally do 75 minute boils of late, with Pilsner and recently brewed a Helles and Dortmunder with 80-90% pilsner that way. Both have medaled and show no signs of DMS. A good boil is likely more important than the extra 30 minutes in my opinion.

a 90 minute boil with Pilsner malt has been standard practice for a long time. That being said many have successfully done 60 minute boils with pilsner. I generally do 75 minute boils of late, with Pilsner and recently brewed a Helles and Dortmunder with 80-90% pilsner that way. Both have medaled and show no signs of DMS. A good boil is likely more important than the extra 30 minutes in my opinion.

I agree...as long as you have a good boil there should be no problem with a 60 minute boil...I recently did a Kölsch with 90% pils and a 60 minute boil...no DMS flavors at all...clean crisp and refreshing!

:mug:

Back