8'x2'x3' fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis_W

Reaction score
I'm looking to build a fermentation chamber and put it in my garage. For space reasons I'm needing to make it long and skinny. My thought was 8' long 2' wide and 3' tall. I plan to insulate it with 1" foam board and use an a/c unit for the cooling that will be located on one end. The door is set to be 3'-8" long so I can access both sides of the chamber easily.

Will this work in Illinois where summers can reach 100F and winters -10F in an uninsulated garage? Any comments or suggestions are welcomed!

think about using two dorm size fridges on the opposite ends of the chamber.. tied to the same controller.. its an idea I have not explored.. but might be an option.

How well will your door seal? Will the AC unit vent to the outside, or just make a hot garage even hotter? Depending on the size of the AC unit, and how it is constructed, this should work very well! Do you really not have room for a cheap / free chest freezer or refrigerator available on craigslist rather than building an elaborate device that will cost more to build and more to run????

Obviously you will need a temp controller and heat source for winter time!

Good to hear limulus! If you have any suggestions on getting a good seal on the door I'm all ears!!

I like the two fridge option. However, I'll be building this with very little approval from my wife and the a/c unit I got for free so if went and bought two used fridges I'd be in big trouble!

It will just be venting into the garage making it hotter. And Yea I do not have room for a freezer. The chamber will sit in front of where I park my truck...if the chamber/chest freezer is any deeper my truck won't fit inside the garage and be able to shut the door. I will check on the size of the a/c unit this morning. And I haven't really thought how to get a good seal on the door...any thoughts or suggestions?

I think this is the a/c unit i have.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DTWBV0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear limulus! If you have any suggestions on getting a good seal on the door I'm all ears!!

I like the two fridge option. However, I'll be building this with very little approval from my wife and the a/c unit I got for free so if went and bought two used fridges I'd be in big trouble!

It will just be venting into the garage making it hotter. And Yea I do not have room for a freezer. The chamber will sit in front of where I park my truck...if the chamber/chest freezer is any deeper my truck won't fit inside the garage and be able to shut the door. I will check on the size of the a/c unit this morning. And I haven't really thought how to get a good seal on the door...any thoughts or suggestions?

I think this is the a/c unit i have.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DTWBV0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

My garage has windows and I leave on of them cracked open a little. So far, I have not noticed it being any hotter.

I'll take photo of the inner doors and post it. I did a very similar thing with the coffin box on my keezer and the seal is very good. I used a laser thermometer to look for cold air leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back