89% Eff with 12 hour mash & fine crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonbreath11

Reaction score
Just posting a heads up for all you overnight mashers. Normally I'm around 75% if I just do a 90 min mash. Mashed for 12 hours. 8.3lbs of grain yielded a SG of 1.035 at 8 gallons pre-boil!. Now it looks like my English Mild has turned into a Brown Porter hybrid. Here's the recipie.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 6.1 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.3 %
6.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.6 %
6.1 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.6 %
2.6 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.9 %
1.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.7 %

1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 18.1 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 9 -

Wort was on the thin side but I started the mash at 160F to get more dextrins in there. Hopefully it will turn out ok.

What is your setup like, are you using a cooler?
Have you noticed any souring? This sounds like you are asking for at least SOME lacto.

What is your setup like, are you using a cooler?
Have you noticed any souring? This sounds like you are asking for at least SOME lacto.

I use a 48Qt Coleman Cooler. The wort didn't taste any more sour than normal. I think to get really noticeable lacto you would have to go 48 hours or more. One of the tastiest brews I ever made was with a 10 hour mash and there was zero lacto flavor in the finished product. I like the idea of overnight mashing because it cuts your brewday in half and the efficiency benefits are tangible. Some complain about the thinner mash but if you start high (158F-165F). I think you can counteract the fermability of the wort.

Milk is pasteurized at 161 for 20 seconds, so 12 hours over 150F will nearly sterilize your wort. Lacto thrives at 98.6F; other souring bacteria work better up to 118F or so. Some of them will survive a 12-hour mash, but they won't do any damage until the temp drops below 125F for an extended time and they can rebuild their numbers. Most sour mashes are actually done by adding fresh grain to cooled wort.

Starting high like that I wonder if any tannins are extracted. I don't know enough about how the mash works yet to make my own opinions, just going off what I read about high mash temps.

I'm interested to hear about other people's success with this.

I have experimented with overnight mashing. As long as you can keep your temp from dropping below 140F more or less you shouldn't have any problems with souring. I made a 2 gallon, 2 Row/Cacade smash with a 12 hour mash in a 5 gallon ice chest. I mashed in at 157F and 12 hours later it was at 143F.. I just started drinking it a week ago, and it's pretty tasty!

Back