888 RIS Swap ~ Evan!'s Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Better late than never. Guess I forgot to do this. If anyone other than Yuri (I think it was Chriso and Pseudochef?) wants to review my RIS, here you go. If not, it's all good.

My list says you shipped to Brewsmith, PseudoChef, and Yuri_Rage. If you shipped to me, then the neighbors/hobos/dog stole it, cus I never saw it! :drunk:

I did a side-by-side tasting, so I'm going to do an intentional double-post in both Chriso's and Evan!'s threads.
Heh. Yuri didn't take long to find this at all. ;)
*snipped*

I did a side-by-side tasting, so I'm going to do an intentional double-post in both Chriso's and Evan!'s threads.

First impressions:
All – dark, nearly jet black color with deep tan head. Ruby highlights when held to the light. Poured at 52°F and warmed about 10° before the end of the tasting.

Chriso:
Medium head, somewhat large bubbles, diminished quickly. Little to no lacing.

Nice aroma – sweet chocolate background with roasted malt most prevalent.

Pleasant chocolate and roastiness up front. Not as complex as the others – the flavor remains fairly constant across the tongue until the finish. Acrid tannin flavor at the end.

Nice, creamy mouthfeel. Well carbonated.

Evan!:
Lots of head, very persistent. Great lacing.

Very rich aroma. Lots of sweet chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Most inviting of the three.

Sweet vanilla, chocolate, and toffee up front, then toasted nuts. Not as roasty as the others. Balanced bitterness. Hints of raisin after a few sips.

Very creamy, carbonated perfectly. Velvet.

Yuri:
Slightly darker than the others, making it VERY black. Medium head, very fine and dense bubbles, diminished quickly. Slight lacing.

Aroma much like Chriso's, but with dark raisin/plum notes added.

Nice chocolate and roasted coffee up front. Raisin and molasses as it washes back. Assertive bitterness at the finish.

Smooth and creamy. A bit undercarbonated.

Final impressions:
Evan!'s was the sweetest and easiest to drink (either the highest FG or the best water profile management). SWMBO really liked the dark fruit notes in mine. The acrid bitterness in the finish of Chriso's made it a bit rough overall, though it was still a pretty good beer. Chriso and Evan!, the 888's were easily the best of the beers you sent.

All – quite similar beers, but subtle variations made for rather different experiences with each. All of the beers hid the high ABV quite well – no alcohol aroma or burn. The recipe is a sure winner, though I'll probably cut the bittering hops slightly if (when) I brew it again. I really enjoyed this tasting session. Easily an award winning RIS, IMHO!

888_tasting.jpg

Left to right: Chriso, Evan!, Yuri

yeah, I was confoozed, Chriso sent one to me.

I don't think it was brewsmith, but I could be wrong. Maybe flowerysong. Anyone have a link to the list of who got what?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/08...l-stout-exchange-44981/index5.html#post630337 - Links directly to that post.

But you are correct, I checked the PM I sent you in April and it says Flowerysong. :/

Could be just a typo in the yellow spreadsheet. But could have been an error.
I'm never doing this kind of typing-work while sober again.

Sober? Made a good 5 or 6 f*ups. Once I got a couple beers in me? Flawless for the rest of the list.

AHA right. The Bold text in the yellow spreadsheet means a mistake was corrected. You were supposed to have Yuri, and I f*ed up and put flowerysong instead. You hadn't yet shipped, and I got to you in time, and we fixed the mistake. So yep, B-smith, P-Chef-dizzle, and the Yuri monster. Awesome.

Is that supposed to be the list = the yellow spreadsheet? Cuz if so, I think we've just found a bug. What's your "posts per page set to"? Your link takes me to the list of welchers. My link still takes me to the yellow spreadsheet.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/630337-post184.html is the direct link, instead of the "Permalink" function. Let me know if that works for you, and I will write up the bug report.

I got some. Evan! got some of mine, too. I have a review thread buried in here somewhere.

I'll get my review in the next couple of days. I know you'll be watching the Redskins as I watch Vandy tonight, so can't promise anything sooner than tomorrow ;)

AHA right. The Bold text in the yellow spreadsheet means a mistake was corrected. You were supposed to have Yuri, and I f*ed up and put flowerysong instead. You hadn't yet shipped, and I got to you in time, and we fixed the mistake. So yep, B-smith, P-Chef-dizzle, and the Yuri monster. Awesome.

Is that supposed to be the list = the yellow spreadsheet? Cuz if so, I think we've just found a bug. What's your "posts per page set to"? Your link takes me to the list of welchers. My link still takes me to the yellow spreadsheet.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/630337-post184.html is the direct link, instead of the "Permalink" function. Let me know if that works for you, and I will write up the bug report.

yeah, we obviously have a glitch, because your link took me to page 5 of that thread.

Cool, thanks for helping test, Evan!, I'll write up a report.
So, on to the RISes, then! :D

I found my bottle! :p

Aroma - Dark fruit, some coffee, a little alcohol and a little flowery hop aroma
Appearance - Jet black with a large tan head with some staying power
Flavor - Lots of bitterness up front with some hop flavor followed by the roast and dark chocolate, and then a little malty sweetness. Finish is bittersweet chocolate and coffee
Mouthfeel - Full, chewy, not overcarbonated and the finish is fairly dry.
Overall - Balanced, not overly bitter from the hops or roast. I like the dark chocolate notes. It is attenuated well. Aside from the slight alcohol aroma, there's no hint in the taste. Very nicely done.

Ignore me. I'm a RIS gnome, just bumping this thread. Some people, see, have the forum to not show posts older than 1 month. This leads to them thinking that their post was deleted - when in fact, it is just hiding from them. Just like this RIS gnome is hiding from you.

:)
missing: pseudochef

Latest posts

Back