85 year old hop plant...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that anyone probably follows this anymore...but a mini update anyway.

Not much was done with The Beast since the last post, but it doesn't seem to have minded being mowed down to the dirt! We're gonna try to build a bigger, better trellis, but the darn Beast just keeps gobbling up every available bit of real estate it can gets bines on. I've been so busy that I really haven't learned much else, other than that I don't think that I could kill this thing if I had too anyway, it will outlive us all and inherit the Earth when we're gone. I did take pictures of it after it first discovered the trellis, I'm just not sure where I stored them at the moment...

Just a thought, how about a kickstarter campaign. 50 bucks to help pay for the trestle and up to a pound of hops, maybe shipped out over a couple of years if there isn't enough for everyone. 25 bucks for a rhizome. 20 bucks for a T-Shirt with a picture of the beast, 10 bucks for a glass with the beast on it.

You have a heck of an asset, you have hundreds of people that would love a piece. That is how capitalism works.

Me, I'm in for a rhizome and a glass, may be a pound of hops if I could get 2015 crop.

Just a thought, how about a kickstarter campaign. 50 bucks to help pay for the trestle and up to a pound of hops, maybe shipped out over a couple of years if there isn't enough for everyone. 25 bucks for a rhizome. 20 bucks for a T-Shirt with a picture of the beast, 10 bucks for a glass with the beast on it.

You have a heck of an asset, you have hundreds of people that would love a piece. That is how capitalism works.

Me, I'm in for a rhizome and a glass, may be a pound of hops if I could get 2015 crop.

I'd pay $25 for a rhizome!!!!

The Beast is awesome!!!!!!!!

Someone beat this with multiple, supposedly, 100+ year old plants. Still would like to know more

Well i got hooked on this thread... figured since it was from 2011 i would, just like a great novel, get to read a great story with a great end... i.e. what the variety is and how to order some!! Lol.
Where's the happy ending to this story?

I agree, interesting read. She certainly has the story for a great marketing piece if she ever decides to pursue starting a business with it.

I think this zombie thread is cool, but story itself not that remarkable, except perhaps the size of the vine.

Some plants live a long time, I have some hops I dug out of an over grown field I brush cut (for work). There were hop vines coming up in several places the next spring. It was once farmland, but am sure it had not been used as such since pre WW2.

The hops themselves are normal, and look like all the other purchased varieties I have. Have not had enough experience with my homegrown hops to have any comment on the flavor, except does not stand out in any way.

Dang. I read this thread hoping she got an analysis on it. A good friend of mine’s grandfather was owner of a brewery that originally started here in town in 1889 and passed through generations. At their farm house there are some hop plants growing there that they planted when they built the farm. According to my friend’s grandma the plants are from the original hops they used in the original beer back then. I have been out to that farm many times over the years when I was younger but never even knew what it was. It was always just a huge vine growing back behind the barn. My buddy asked if I would make a beer with it so I think I’ll take him up on it as he’s intrigued also. I am just curious as to what variety they might be. Now this is all what his grandma told us. The farm has been standing there since the 40’s I believe. If I find anything out more about it I’ll let you guys know.

Hop bines that travel touching the ground will root. Rhizomes are the usual way to make new plantings. A university cooperative may be helpful in identifying the type. The cone reminds me of crystal, but it is too new to be your hop. Knowing the age of the plant will be helpful in identifying it. Also the color of the bine close the the crown. Is it all green? Have a reddish stripe?

Checkout hoplist.com for fun, and thanks for sharing your pictures.

Bah, I didn’t realize this was an old thread!

Dang. I read this thread hoping she got an analysis on it. A good friend of mine’s grandfather was owner of a brewery that originally started here in town in 1889 and passed through generations. At their farm house there are some hop plants growing there that they planted when they built the farm. According to my friend’s grandma the plants are from the original hops they used in the original beer back then. I have been out to that farm many times over the years when I was younger but never even knew what it was. It was always just a huge vine growing back behind the barn. My buddy asked if I would make a beer with it so I think I’ll take him up on it as he’s intrigued also. I am just curious as to what variety they might be. Now this is all what his grandma told us. The farm has been standing there since the 40’s I believe. If I find anything out more about it I’ll let you guys know.
Where are you? I would assume the hop varity would be similar to that typical geography. I think you should.for sure brew something with it. SMaSH or some such?

Heeeeelllllooooooo everyone! Just wondering how many people are still following this thread? My cousin and I just had an hour long conversation on the phone. Will gladly give an update if people are still interested 😊
+1 to the "Hells Yes!" above! We've been anxiously awaiting... and hopfully pictures, too!?!?!

This is truly amazing I read thru the beginning without knowing the OP just chimes in at the end!!!! Awesome thread super cool and rare! Thank you for a great read and excited for the updates!

Glad there is still interest! We have not spoken in a couple of years and i decided to reach out to her (glad she had the same phone number haha)
She said the plant is still a monster but she hasn’t done much with it. Will be sure to take some pics and look for some cones... Maybe there will be enough for us to make a batch 🤞🏻

Here is a picture update

Attachments

• AEC887E4-EB53-4C91-A54D-DF6B61996CBC.jpeg
    AEC887E4-EB53-4C91-A54D-DF6B61996CBC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 199
  • BCDF39CA-37C1-4D50-8A53-172BE6A38BEB.jpeg
    BCDF39CA-37C1-4D50-8A53-172BE6A38BEB.jpeg
    785.9 KB · Views: 186
  • E09DC906-3C10-4F58-9656-C201219A94DC.jpeg
    E09DC906-3C10-4F58-9656-C201219A94DC.jpeg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 180
  • E688F352-D6EB-4E49-BCCF-7D1D5BCBDE6D.jpeg
    E688F352-D6EB-4E49-BCCF-7D1D5BCBDE6D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 181
  • D276D2A8-FA85-476A-BA80-979FF9143F99.jpeg
    D276D2A8-FA85-476A-BA80-979FF9143F99.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 184
  • 30A2E0CD-71B3-4457-BA1A-2E442B0840AD.jpeg
    30A2E0CD-71B3-4457-BA1A-2E442B0840AD.jpeg
    575.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 4F1900C5-A6D6-4327-B885-1851CE001EB3.jpeg
    4F1900C5-A6D6-4327-B885-1851CE001EB3.jpeg
    830.7 KB · Views: 169
  • D2AB2330-7D0F-480D-A828-F56F75D5D632.jpeg
    D2AB2330-7D0F-480D-A828-F56F75D5D632.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 170
  • 53AD3B31-6103-41FB-80F3-25F79742750F.jpeg
    53AD3B31-6103-41FB-80F3-25F79742750F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 166
  • 624F6C54-7A0B-41A9-AA5A-AE0E5B46DFA6.jpeg
    624F6C54-7A0B-41A9-AA5A-AE0E5B46DFA6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 159
Didn’t disappoint. That is amazing. Those plants are hardy as hell. I’ll try to hide my jealously now.

Picked a few cones to make a test brew. Any suggestions on what to do with these fresh nuggets? Should I brew with them “as is“ or put them through some sort of drying process before brewing?

Attachments

• 3FC40442-0238-41FD-B290-49168DB59DB0.jpeg
    3FC40442-0238-41FD-B290-49168DB59DB0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • 70DB916E-00A5-4837-921D-A9D669189A3B.jpeg
    70DB916E-00A5-4837-921D-A9D669189A3B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 7C7F62B9-37FA-4612-A2C5-0D6B66E0D7FD.jpeg
    7C7F62B9-37FA-4612-A2C5-0D6B66E0D7FD.jpeg
    928.4 KB · Views: 68
Picked a few cones to make a test brew. Any suggestions on what to do with these fresh nuggets? Should I brew with them “as is“ or put them through some sort of drying process before brewing?
||If you plan to brew in the next day or so, leave them be - any more than that you'd probably want to dry them.

You can use the hop straight from the plant but be aware that fresh hops can be stronger then dried hops.

Also that plant looks ready to be harvested, three indications you can use to see if the hops are ripe:
1. When you rub a cone between your fingers it should feel and crackle like paper
2. Hop cones contain lupulin, this is needed for the brewing process, in the beginning of the growth it will have a lighter color turning later on in golden
yellow, that is the wright color, the brown cones are to far gone, these you can discard
3. Ripe hops smell a little bit like beer, if they smell grassy it is not ripe enough yet

You can dry the cones in the oven @ 140F (60C) in not to thick layers, if the stems break easily they are dry enough, but better is to dry it in open air in a sunny spot during two to three days and turning them regularly on a dry rack which you can easily make from screen mesh:
1598534750903.png

Hope this helps a bit.

You can use the hop straight from the plant but be aware that fresh hops can be stronger then dried hops.

Also that plant looks ready to be harvested, three indications you can use to see if the hops are ripe:
1. When you rub a cone between your fingers it should feel and crackle like paper
2. Hop cones contain lupulin, this is needed for the brewing process, in the beginning of the growth it will have a lighter color turning later on in golden
yellow, that is the wright color, the brown cones are to far gone, these you can discard
3. Ripe hops smell a little bit like beer, if they smell grassy it is not ripe enough yet

You can dry the cones in the oven @ 140F (60C) in not to thick layers, if the stems break easily they are dry enough, but better is to dry it in open air in a sunny spot during two to three days and turning them regularly on a dry rack which you can easily make from screen mesh:
View attachment 695748
Hope this helps a bit.

Side note: we use the same mesh racks to dry out walnuts during harvest up here in NE and wherever walnuts are in the continental US

I'd go with a single malt and do additions at 60,30,10,5 and flameout if you have enough.
What amount of hops for each addition? EXAMPLE: Should I start with 1oz and then do 1/2 oz for each additional?
Also, can I do a dry hop with fresh cones? I’d like to maximize the flavor potential of “the beast’s” cones.

so far I’ve got 7lb of Pilsen light LME, some dry Nottingham ale yeast, and as many hops as j_treegirl will let me pick haha will be brewing this on Tuesday/Wednesday

Last edited:
Why don't you make a few hop teas first in plain water with various amounts of hop additions to get a better idea of the bitterness and the flavour of the hop.

Dryhopping with fresh cones is a nogo imo due to the risk of infection.

What amount of hops for each addition? EXAMPLE: Should I start with 1oz and then do 1/2 oz for each additional?
Also, can I do a dry hop with fresh cones? I’d like to maximize the flavor potential of “the beast’s” cones.

so far I’ve got 7lb of Pilsen light LME, some dry Nottingham ale yeast, and as many hops as j_treegirl will let me pick haha will be brewing this on Tuesday/Wednesday

I'd do an ounce since you have 0 clue about what variety it is. Who knows, might be the best beer you ever make!

Why don't you make a few hop teas first in plain water with various amounts of hop additions to get a better idea of the bitterness and the flavour of the hop.

Dryhopping with fresh cones is a nogo imo due to the risk of infection.
Good idea! Will give this a try.

Latest posts

Back