84-90F too hot for "secondary"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMBC

Reaction score
In the two short months I've been brewing I've been trying to improve my beer with each batch. The biggest step was a 7 cu ft fermentation chamber. Unfortunately, it only holds two batches. We drink and give away our beer so fast that it's hard to keep up with a pipeline that's only two batches wide.

It's already hitting triple digits here in AZ so my house is usually in the high 80's during the day. Would I ruin my beer (or decrease quality in any way) if I were to start pulling batches out of the 65F ferm chamber and set them out in the 80-something degree room as soon as primary fermentation is over to make room for more beer?

I put "secondary" in quotes to indicate that I won't be racking the beer to a different vessel. I just plan to move the primary out of the chamber until I have an open keg to put it in.

I know this question has been asked and answered, but I've never seen anyone ask about room temps this high so I wanted to verify. Thanks in advance.

If you need to free up your ferm chamber, why not set up a swamp cooler for this one and knock some of the temp off? Depends on the yeast, but if you can get temps down into the 70s, you should be OK.

I'm in AZ, too. And I have to ask - don't you turn the AC on? I know we keep our house cooler than some (75) but high 80's?

I keep a heavy pipeline trying to master this new hobby of mine. I have a couple of coolers in my garage (north facing garage) filled with cool water. I will place bottles in these coolers to carb prior to refrigerating and the temps stay even in the low 70's. Don't know if this helps with your situation, but it might spark some ideas?

start with the swamp cooler method. If you have further issues with space and temp control and you like saisons, maybe start putting those in the pipeline at strategic times.

Back