7th Hoppin' IPL w/ Heady hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
I decided to make an IPL using IBU injector for the boil, 5 minute and flame out additions, a long 165* aroma steep, and a double dry hop. I'm using WLP810 White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast since it's ideal temperature is 58-65*.

5.5 Gallons:
5 lbs Golden Promise
5 lbs 2-row
1/2 lbs Caramalt
2 oz Acidulated malt
3 tsp Gypsum
Mash at 148* for 90 minutes
Mash at 156* for 10 minutes
Sparge at 168*
7 ml IBU injector @ 90 minutes,
1/2 oz Simcoe, 1/4 oz Apollo @ 5 minutes
1 oz Simcoe, 1/2 oz CTZ @ Flame out
1 oz Simcoe, 1/2 oz CTZ, 1/2 oz Centennial, 1/4 oz Apollo, 1/4 oz Citra, 1/4 oz El Dorado, 1/4 oz Azacca @ 165* Aroma steep for 60 minutes

1.064 OG, ~70 IBUs
Pitched 400 billion cells of WLP810

Plan to double dry hop with 4 oz total hops

The temperature does not want to stay down on this thing. I chilled it to 55*, had 5 gallons of frozen water in my Cool Brewing Fermentation Cooler with it, and it was 71* when I woke up. I've had to stick it outside numerous times and it will still rise 10* in about an hour even with all the frozen bottles (which are thawing out pretty fast.) I have no problem getting Conan to stay between 58-65*, but this yeast just seems to want to be in the 70s.

This is a slow yeast. It's been over three days and it's only down 20 points. Conan yeast would be down 40 points by now.

After 10 days the gravity is finally down 40 points to 1.024, and I can definitely taste a lot of diacetyl in the sample. I added the first dry hop:
1/2 oz Simcoe, 1/2 oz CTZ, 1/2 oz Centennial, 1/4 oz Apollo, 1/4 oz Citra, 1/4 El Dorado, 1/4 oz Azacca for a total of 2.5 oz.

Added second dry hop, same 2.5 oz mix, all leaf hops except El Dorado and Azacca. Gravity is down to 1.016 and I can't taste any diacetyl through the dry hops, however I'm going to let the temperature rise to room temperature over the next 4 days before bottling and possibly lagering some at a much lower temperature.

instead of using the cal lager yeast, you should consider nottingham for IPAs. It will be fine up to 70-72, but it still chugs pretty good down to almost 50. Great floc too. Good luck with this batch.

Bottled 3 gallons in 2 Tap-A-Draft bottles. Lagering the rest. Gravity was down to 1.009.

This ended up being really good, but IMO it would have been better with Conan yeast. I'll see if the part I'm lagering ends up any better.

Back