7th batch, just boiled with lid on....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRASHED

Reaction score
Failed to notice some critical reading on boiling with the lid off at all times.

Have been using stovetop range for first six batches and kept the lids off.

Got a highly efficient stainless steel setup with propane burner and lid. Kept the lid on as I got to boiling so damn fast I was afraid of boiling off most of my beer while I fiddled with the flow rate.

Probably opened the lid and did a slow gentle stir ever 10 minutes of the 90 minute boil for an Oktoberfest beer.

Am I screwed with DMS? Is there any way to help get rid of any excess from keeping the lid on?

Extract or all grain? What's the grain bill? With an Oktoberfest you'll be better off than if it was a lighter lager.

All grain

8.3lbs pale malt 2 row
1.11lbs munich malt (20L)
10.3oz crystal malt (60L)
1.20oz hallertauer (60 mins)
.55oz tettnang (5 mins)
.28oz tettnang whirlpool
Bavarian lager @2206 liquid

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 19.7 IBUs
Est Color: 10.4 SRM
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 %
Calories: 199.7 kcal/12oz

So you removed the lid 8 times or so... might have let off enough steam to drive off a large part of the DMS...

Nice recipe, wish I had a second fermenting chamber for lagers!

How rapidly you chilled will affect this too. Nothing to do now for this batch but wait and see.

In the meantime, fill your new kettle up with water and determine its boil off rate at the boil intensity that you want to use then adjust your recipes to the new equipment.

How rapidly you chilled will affect this too. Nothing to do now for this batch but wait and see.

In the meantime, fill your new kettle up with water and determine its boil off rate at the boil intensity that you want to use then adjust your recipes to the new equipment.

I agree, boil off rate is important to zero in on. It is best to control your volumes by starting with the right preboil amount and controlling it with the amount of heat, rather than the lid.

Back