70/30 force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danwilderspin

Reaction score
Maybe wrong choice of words but I found ages ago the calculator to do this with kegs and 70/30

The plan is after the primary fermentation to fill the keg and then just put it in the cooler at 50f 10c for a week with 70/30 connected at 2bar / 30psi - will this give me a nice creamy beer or have I got something wrong?

The "creamy" beer associated with dispensing using beer gas is mostly due to the high pressure used (typically around 30-35 psi) slamming very modestly carbonated beer through tiny holes in a restrictor plate inside a "stout faucet". That - and the beer having some body. It doesn't work all that well with very low FG beer.

To get to that point you just need to get the beer to around 1.2 volumes of carbonation first. If done using "chart pressure" that could take a week or so - if one assumes the fermented beer had somewhere between 0.6~0.8 volumes of carbonation to begin with. There are accelerated methods, of course (aka high pressure "burst carbing") but over-shooting carbonation can be a real pita if that beer is then dispensed through a stout faucet at 30 psi...

Cheers!

The "creamy" beer associated with dispensing using beer gas is mostly due to the high pressure used (typically around 30-35 psi) slamming very modestly carbonated beer through tiny holes in a restrictor plate inside a "stout faucet". That - and the beer having some body. It doesn't work all that well with very low FG beer.

To get to that point you just need to get the beer to around 1.2 volumes of carbonation first. If done using "chart pressure" that could take a week or so - if one assumes the fermented beer had somewhere between 0.6~0.8 volumes of carbonation to begin with. There are accelerated methods, of course (aka high pressure "burst carbing") but over-shooting carbonation can be a real pita if that beer is then dispensed through a stout faucet at 30 psi...

Cheers!
I thought that the beer absorbed the nitrogen too?

So for the level I need of co2 would I be best to treat it as a cask with a secondary fermentation then hook up the 70/30 for dispensing

I keg my stout then carbonate it at 60°F-ish and 4 psi for a week or a little more. I almost never use a "secondary" vessel and when I do it's a glass carboy which is not something I would carbonate anything in - even if only to 1.2 volumes :)

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back