7-year old mystery beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedis

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the board, been brewing on and off (mostly off) since 1998. Which brings me to my story. I recently started brewing again with a Brewer's Best Kolsch kit. Almost 3 weeks in the bottle now, and I really like the results - very nice summer beer. So, last week I was taking stock of my equipment in the basement when I found another case of 16 oz bottles I had forgotten about. It was still packed with paper and taped shut from our last move, which was in 2005. I opened it up and discovered, to my surprise, two full bottles. My first instinct was to dump it - it CAN'T be good, right? It's at least 7 years old, and possibly older since I don't remember brewing anything at all in my previous house, which would put it in the one before that, or about 10 years ago.

Then I thought why not put it in the fridge overnight and open one up just for S&Gs? Couldn't dump it without a least a curious sniff. I did a search here too and found several references to old home brews being okay. Encouraged, I poured one into a 20-oz glass the next day, and I have to say, it's not bad! Not great by any means, and any hop flavor and nose has certainly faded, but very drinkable. It's a beautiful light amber color, and the clearest beer I've ever brewed, since it's had a few years to settle! ;) I'm thinking it's a cream ale, since that's a style I like and have brewed several times. But I never labeled my bottles, so that's just a guess.

Anyway, I have the other one in the fridge and will take a picture of the pour and post it this weekend. So nice to be back into this hobby and have the great information and support of the online community now! Next up a Northern Brewers Amber Ale kit, but I think I'll wait until the ridiculous heat breaks here in Virginia. Cheers!! :mug:

Congrats! For a beer that old to be good, it means that you did everything right regarding sanitation and oxidation prevention. :rockin:

Here ya go. It's 100+ degrees outside, so this was a nice way to end a 7 year (unintentional) experiment! This was past its prime, as I said, but I wonder what the prime age was? I'm tempted to set aside a couple of bottles from my next brew and try it in a year or two, just to compare to the "fresh" product. Anybody out there have a similar experience?

IMAG0038.jpg

Latest posts

Back