7 year old Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Found some 7 year old Dunkel in a closet in PET bottles from the dreaded Mr. Beer days. The caps were still on fairly tight, quick swish taste and sniff test it’s still a Dunkel for sure. I wasn’t brave enough to swallow (it was also 11 AM). I think I am going to slowly pour the pet bottles into a small keg and force carbonate. Anyone have experience with beer that old / any threat of illness?

Well, it was in glass bottles and bottle conditioned, but...

When I was cleaning out my parents' basement years ago, I found a couple of cases of beer I reckoned I'd stored there and forgotten during a move at least 15 years earlier. I was force carbing and CP bottling at the time, so I took them home and started dumping them out to salvage the "free" sbottles. Just for scientific purposes, I decided to take a sip. It was still beer. I think it had been a strong Bitter, and it still had a fruity, English yeast taste. Didn't seem autolysed or anything particularly repulsive as I recall. But I kept dumping just to be safe. Maybe shouldn't have. I considered it anecdotal evidence of the ageing potential of bottle conditioned beer. Report back on your experience. (Assuming you survive of course. jk)

Beer cannot harbor any illness that might affect humans.
PET bottles and oxidation is another issue though. Normally I would say that pouring bottled beer into a keg would case severe oxidation but in this case it's utterly redundant.

Agreed on oxidation, thinking it can’t hurt at this point. I was thinking though could it be worth a small dry hop in the keg?

I have drunk a 7 year old beer. It was a Hibernation Ale from Great Divide that I bought without checking the date at a highly regarded beer store in Athens, GA that I have since found out can have terribly aged stock. It was spoiled and terrible and I did not drink it. And you would think an 8.7% Old Ale would have held up well. My guess is that your beer is spoiled, but if it tasted okay, I would certainly drink it.

Latest posts

Back