7 cu ft chest freezers that support 4 on the floor and in production?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
I asked a question the other day about a couple specific chest freezers but it has me wondering because I'm seeing all kinds of conflicting information. It seems like a lot of previous generation keezers that were part of the spec thread and are now discontinued have been updated in such a way they no longer support 4 on the floor (ball lock soda kegs) without a collar. This would be helpful for me to know but I'm sure for future visitors too.

I was honing in on the Magic Chef 7.0 but I'm worried the newer HMCF7W4 has been updated in such a way that it may not work. I've asked for dimensions from MCA but it looks like premlinarily they are 28 inches deep x 15.9 inches wide x 31.3 width. This is almost a full inch narrower in width but close to 4 inches wider if it's true.

It looks like the newer generation GE 7 doesn't comfortably fit 4, nor does the Hotpoint. I can't seem to get good info on the Insignia. I've got a 80" space carved out for what I'm hoping is two freezers - one for serving and one for conditioning. I know I could always put collars on both but I'm hoping to avoid that. My goal really is to have the ability to have 4 in the serving and up to 4 conditioning at different temps/pressures.

So that said: who here has a newer generation 7 cu ft chest freezer that they can validate fits 4 on the floor?

what you really need to look for are the older freezers, usually on CL or FB...older like maybe 10+ years old? Maybe 20+?

chest freezers used to be a little deeper (front to back) and did not require staggering the kegs. Much more efficient use of floor space.

Also, older freezers often have the compressor hump in the corner and not the whole side.

I have a 5cf that holds 3 kegs on the floor.

I have a 7cf that holds 5 on the floor. Well 6 but it's real tight.

Can you do uprights? Maybe an upright for serving and chest for conditioning or the other way around?

I had a pretty old of a beast chest freezer I wished I never got rid of, but more or less had to due to space. I've been happy with my 14cuft Maytag chest freezer as it has the corner hump style compressor. It takes up a (guessing) 30" x 48" area and I have room for 6 kegs. I could probably load more, but I use one of the baskets for bottled beer and yeast packs.

Can you do uprights? Maybe an upright for serving and chest for conditioning or the other way around?

I had a pretty old of a beast chest freezer I wished I never got rid of, but more or less had to due to space. I've been happy with my 14cuft Maytag chest freezer as it has the corner hump style compressor. It takes up a (guessing) 30" x 48" area and I have room for 6 kegs. I could probably load more, but I use one of the baskets for bottled beer and yeast packs.

So the Insignia 14.1 cu ft freezer became available for delivery next Monday! I decided to just abandon the idea of two freezers and get the one. It saves me a lot of horizontal space, I should be able to get 8 in there comfortably and I don't have to wait 3 months to get brewing again :) That is more important to me at this moment!

I've got a 7 cuft that fits 4 (ball locks) on the floor (barely). I have 4 kegs in there often. It has a collar, with a 10# CO2 tank on the hump. I built it 5 or 6 years ago from a new freezer.

You could probably get a total of 6 in there with the collar if you put the CO2 outside.

Here's a picture of it in home depot. HMCF7W. I paid $158.

1590592754149.png

I asked a question the other day about a couple specific chest freezers but it has me wondering because I'm seeing all kinds of conflicting information. It seems like a lot of previous generation keezers that were part of the spec thread and are now discontinued have been updated in such a way they no longer support 4 on the floor (ball lock soda kegs) without a collar. This would be helpful for me to know but I'm sure for future visitors too.

I was honing in on the Magic Chef 7.0 but I'm worried the newer HMCF7W4 has been updated in such a way that it may not work. I've asked for dimensions from MCA but it looks like premlinarily they are 28 inches deep x 15.9 inches wide x 31.3 width. This is almost a full inch narrower in width but close to 4 inches wider if it's true.

It looks like the newer generation GE 7 doesn't comfortably fit 4, nor does the Hotpoint. I can't seem to get good info on the Insignia. I've got a 80" space carved out for what I'm hoping is two freezers - one for serving and one for conditioning. I know I could always put collars on both but I'm hoping to avoid that. My goal really is to have the ability to have 4 in the serving and up to 4 conditioning at different temps/pressures.

So that said: who here has a newer generation 7 cu ft chest freezer that they can validate fits 4 on the floor?

Sorry, I just "fully" read your post. If magic chef has changed the floor space by 1", 4 won't fit in there. Best to cut out four cardboard circles and go into home depot and test yourself in the store.

Sorry, I just "fully" read your post. If magic chef has changed the floor space by 1", 4 won't fit in there. Best to cut out four cardboard circles and go into home depot and test yourself in the store.

Ya that's impossible unfortunately! There has been a run on chest freezers and none of the HD's have them or online. It's several months at least. No worries - I decided to just get a 14 and be done with it. I can always change later if need be.

For anyone that might be following this: Magic Chef's HMCF7W4 7 cu ft freezer has the following dimensions:

On the floor: 21.8" wide, 15.9" deep, 26.5" high. The compressor area is 9.5" wide, 18" high. Seems like it would be very difficult to get 4 on the floor with these dimensions.

So the Insignia 14.1 cu ft freezer became available for delivery next Monday! I decided to just abandon the idea of two freezers and get the one. It saves me a lot of horizontal space, I should be able to get 8 in there comfortably and I don't have to wait 3 months to get brewing again :) That is more important to me at this moment!

Thanks for the info! I was able to get an order placed for pickup Sunday! My keezer died last month and so far I have been unable to get a replacement. I try to check every so often but hadn't seen this in stock yet. I had an order fall through at Home Depot last week, so hopefully this one sticks.

Latest posts

Back