650ss and short lines. Burp at first pour then fine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I have 650ss taps and have my lines shortened down to 3 or 4 feet. My first pour is foamy. I can put that aside and then get a great pour. I wonder if this is due to temperature differences. Since I get subsequent pours with no issue, I don't think longer lines will help. I almost thing longer lines would make it worse.
Thoughts?

Yes its temperature difference. Shorter lines arent helping, longer ones would probably reduce the issue. That being said, its just because the lines in the tower warm up, I always get a little foam on the first pour with 8 foot lines

I have 650ss taps and have my lines shortened down to 3 or 4 feet. My first pour is foamy. I can put that aside and then get a great pour. I wonder if this is due to temperature differences. Since I get subsequent pours with no issue, I don't think longer lines will help. I almost thing longer lines would make it worse.
Thoughts?

I also have 650ss taps with 4' lines, and my first pour is also kinda foamy, and I also agree that it improves once the faucet itself gets cooled. So I just do the first pour very slowly (flow control set way down).

Coincidentally, I'm also from Newark, DE, so there's that.

I also have 650ss taps with 4' lines, and my first pour is also kinda foamy, and I also agree that it improves once the faucet itself gets cooled. So I just do the first pour very slowly (flow control set way down).

Coincidentally, I'm also from Newark, DE, so there's that.

Ya but now you're in San Diego. We require 8-10 foot lines here :D

Not to thread jack, but where in SD are you?

Ya but now you're in San Diego. We require 8-10 foot lines here :D

Not to thread jack, but where in SD are you?

San Carlos neighborhood. Go east on the 8. Stop just before you reach the city limit. If you get to the trailer parks and neighborhoods that have no sidewalks and every truck has a Trump sticker and a confederate flag on it, you've gone just a little too far.

San Carlos neighborhood. Go east on the 8. Stop just before you reach the city limit. If you get to the trailer parks and neighborhoods that have no sidewalks and every truck has a Trump sticker and a confederate flag on it, you've gone just a little too far.

Bahaha thats gotta be the most accurate directions Ive ever heard

I got 650ss taps, on 8' and 10' lines, and I notice a difference between them. I think its always best to balance your system if possible. I also seem to remember reading on this site a while ago, that you just cant compensate for short lines with a slower pour.

Having said that, if you like the way your pours are after the first, then I don't think you need to adjust line length, as it will change the perfect pour you have after the first.

I have a 650 directly attached to my keg post, so no lines at all. I have a similar challenge with a first pour, but great afterwards. My faucet and all is inside the fridge, so no temp difference there. Also, I'm serving from a keg at 20 psi. Anyhow, I think what is happening is when the faucet is shut, the pressure equalizes up to the seal in the faucet even though the flow control is set. When you first open it that cavity (between the flow control and the faucet seal) dumps fast and creates the burp. Then further flow is restricted by the flow control. Perhaps a way to check is to shut the flow control 100% first then shut the main seal after your last pour. Your following pour open the main first then adjust the flow control. Maybe it will help?

Latest posts

Back