65% efficiency with corona mill how many more turns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Eugenics

Reaction score
My first go with a corona mill I hit 65% efficiency. My question is how many more turns should I go, ¼ ½ I would be happy with 75%? This thing worked great right out of the box too.

I believe for every 1/8 turn you will gain approx. 2% efficiency, so if you are looking for a 10% gain, that would be 1 1/4 turns...;)

I have absolutely no idea! The reply above is in jest...turn it without fear...it's only beer...examine the crush, and the mill plates how wide, as that should be your guide:mug:

and don't fear some flour, it's unlikely, and relieving a stuck sparge might only cost you and hour;)

Go ahead and try to tweak the mill, but just remember that efficiency isn't the be all end all benchmark for brewing. YMMV, but on my system the difference between 65% and 75% breaks down to about a dollar worth of grain. Not dealing with a stuck sparge is worth a dollar to me. My concern is usually with consistency rather than efficiency. If I could nail 65 every time, I would roll with it rather than bouncing from anywhere between 65 and 85. Just food for thought I suppose.

I think you have to dial it on your own, ideal crush will be little different for different mash tuns. In my case i was getting 70% out of the box then i star playing with my corona, got stuck sparge, dial it back a little and got suck again, dial back some more and hit 75%, crank it a tick and last two brews i was at 82% and i was draining my tun very fast, im gona leave it as it is now :)

Tough question. I've been hitting 65% or so with my corona-style mill, but I can't tighten much more without burning out my drill motor (and getting mostly flour). I do stovetop BIAB, though, so it's a little more expected.

One thing, though: if you can get 65% consistently, don't be too bothered. I was ticked last batch that I only got to 65% instead of 70% like I'd hoped, but then I figured it's such a small difference to compensate for -- the negativity of missing my target was ruining a brewday, which should be fun, right? Anyway, I'm just going to start shooting for 65%, spending the extra fifty cents or a dollar on grain each batch, and not sweating it so much. Consistency is what I wanted with the mill anyway. Just my two cents.

I have my CM cranked down pretty tight. I get some flour in my crush. At the setting I run it, I can't use a drill, it's too tight and binds the drill, but turns very easily by hand.

I'm running in the 73% range +/- 1% per batch. I'm pretty sure I've gotten all I can from the mill, and need to look at my sparging technique to up it a few % points.

Give it a quarter twist and go from there. I agree though, an extra pound of grain beats a stuck sparge any day of the week. I get damn spot on 70% consistently and don't care about more or less with the quality of beer coming out.

So I gave it a 1/2 a turn and still got 65 which is what I was getting from milled grains from AHS. It only has 1 turn left before its to tight. Im going to give a 1/2 a turn more and be happy with that thanks.

Back