60L Speidel fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhemoth

Reaction score
anyone used them? Since we now brew about 40 - 50L in a batch we want to get two of these.

1) will you be able to ferment up to 50L in a 60: bucket or would you need more headspace.

2) I hear they can be pressurized. any one have experience in priming in one of these and bottling straight from the fermenter? (transfer beer off the yeast into second bucket and condition/prime in there then into bottles).

Not sure how this would look but would it be possible (or even desirable) to fill bottles from one of these guys using a beer-gun?

I have fermented 16 gallons in mine but it was a lager without much need for head space. I have done 15 gallons of ales also with no problem.

I pressure push out when it is packaging time but I only put around 2 psi into it or the vessel/lid inflates which concerns me.

Good luck.

Cheers.

BSD

Hi BSD_Glass,

Thanks for the response! how do you pressurize? just with priming sugar or do you have some sort of co2 hookup for the vessel?

does that mean it essentially serves as a bright/conditioning tank for getting carbonation in there? if so, what happens when you bottle from the spigot? does it not foam like crazy?

picking mine up tomorrow for second brew day on the BM v350 :) didnt enjoy splitting the batch much. ended with 1 beer that turned out brilliant and one that turned out a bit carboard/plasticy. was hoping that mixing the 2 for secondary/dry hopping would allow them to even out and get the clear crisp fruity profile back for the second, but just ended up dulling out both beers.

I pressurize by replacing the airlock with a spare spigot and plumbing that to CO2. I don't transfer carbonated beer and don't think the vessel would take kindly to that kind of pressure. The lid will bow up (inflate) with considerably less than 5# of CO2 pressure.

I think it would make a fine, though expensive, bottling bucket, IF you built a different spigot with a dip tube. As it is, without tipping you would leave behind around 1.5 gallons of beer.

When I was talking about pressure pushing for packaging, I was talking about pushing into kegs where I carbonate the beer. I only use these for primary fermentors but i do love them for that.

Cheers.

BSD

anyone used them? Since we now brew about 40 - 50L in a batch we want to get two of these.

1) will you be able to ferment up to 50L in a 60: bucket or would you need more headspace.

2) I hear they can be pressurized. any one have experience in priming in one of these and bottling straight from the fermenter? (transfer beer off the yeast into second bucket and condition/prime in there then into bottles).

Not sure how this would look but would it be possible (or even desirable) to fill bottles from one of these guys using a beer-gun?

I have used mine (60L) to bottle and age wine. A bottling wand is easily attached to the spigot with a section of tubing, you could transfer the same way. I ferment in my 30L (beer) but don not do anything under pressure.

I have a 60l. I like it alot, thinking about getting another and retire my sanke. I have pressure transfered and gravity transfered, these days I just through it on the bench and gravity drain.

All understood. Thanks for all the tips. Pressure transfer sounds pretty sweet. On the train to go pck up two of these bad boys and some seasonal yeasts that sound great. Brewing as soon as I get home so will update if I have feedback on the fermenters.

Brewhemoth, any updates on this? How do you like the fermentors, and how much wort are you putting in those bad boys? How's the pressure transfer?

Back