60A B2B Panel finally done.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deece

Reaction score
I finally crimped the last wires and set the Pids up. It will be a while before the rest of the rig is done but I can officially call the panel complete. My pics aren't the greatest as the stainless face is a bit camera shy.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437784847.136211.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437784866.319575.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437784886.470216.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437784912.353605.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437784931.860986.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437784802.894502.jpg
    901.9 KB · Views: 781
It's designed for 4 vessels (separate HERMs coil in its own kettle) or Rims I suppose would work also. I decided to go with 3 pumps as well and possibly hard plumb it. rather than using the Kal layout I went vertical mostly based off of the enclosure size. (I got a smoking deal on it). each kettle has its own row and controls. The Mash pid is a SWA 2451 with the built in timer, but doesn't control any heat. I wanted both pid and manual control over the boil so I used a Auber 2352 and their Dsp1 for the boil with a selector switch between the two. The last row for the CFC was to monitor the temps before pitching, I wouldn't have bothered but I had a spare 2362 laying around from a bunch of parts I purchased from another member here. in the panel I used din rails and wire duct to keep everything kinda clean as I can be pretty sloppy otherwise. I also used break out boards to keep the number of wires down between the face and inside of the panel. Oh and one big shiny Estop button just because

Yeowzah Yeowzah Yeowzah!

8 displays on a single panel. That is a hell of a job, getting all that in one box and keeping everything tidy and neat.

Tell me about the graphics on the panel. How did you create them and how did you get them on the panel?

They were created in Adobe Illustrator. I used the file I made for the CNC to cut the holes for the buttons/Pids then aligned everything off those. then I found a graphic of the hops and added that in and the borders etc. A friend of mine has a sign business that specializes in wide format printing so it was printed on clear vinyl the CNC holes were converted to cut lines on the printer for alignment on the panel then we slapped in on the face. it worked really well.

Three questions:
Where did you get the box, and what size is it?
Do you have Schematics?
Why the serial cable, I am guessing there is some sort of computer control in there.

Thanks

The serial cable keeps things pretty damn tidy front to back. How does it handle the AC voltage? Are you driving the pumps via a switch control or a relay? Where did you get the serial to screw terminal busses? Those are slick.

Box is a Hoffman 16x24x8. It was actually 2 separate ones I got off eBay. First one had unrepairable hinge mounts and I replaced it with a stainless one and used the door only as the box was Swiss cheesed. the schematics don't exist. I wired it on the fly. I do have the .dxf file somewhere for the panel layout and the custom back plate. The serial cable is only there to keep things tidy. There is no real voltage going through it, the pumps are on contactors as well as the elements. It is less than .1 amps through the cables. The screw terminal buss was found on EBay as well. I think it would come up if you searched Din power distribution. Otherwise if you meant the ones the serial cables went into search Din breakout board.

Saw your stuff for sale and followed your link here.
I'm amazed at your and others like yourself ability's. I cant wrap my head around wiring a darn 3 way switch.

To do this on the "Fly" as you stated with no directions is totally mindbogglingly to me.

I had the boat rewired and I wish I could understand what its all for....I cant even take a quick look and figure out the 3 battery on-off-all switches and what one controls what. It will take me a volt meter and a couple hours.

Thank you. I still look up 3 way switch diagrams myself. I did reference some diagrams a couple times but an actual schematic doesn't exist for this panel so there wasn't anything to follow. I still referenced how to wire the safestart interlock and how to wire a basic pid ssr etc.

Well your awfully humble...I dont even know what that stuff is for or what its supposed to do, let alone try and make it do it..........Make beer in the end I guess..:) I will have to leave the fancy stuff to you better qualified people.

Again Super job!
Carry on.

I like it! I built a similar controller. Unfortunately I designed my controller the summer before the DSPR1 came out. I bought one of the components and use it in a stand alone controller. I really like the simplicity of the component. Mine is based on the Kal clone. 60A main switch with 2 lateral 50A options. One using PDIs and the other using simple rheostats.

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

I like it! I built a similar controller. Unfortunately I designed my controller the summer before the DSPR1 came out. I bought one of the components and use it in a stand alone controller. I really like the simplicity of the component. Mine is based on the Kal clone. 60A main switch with 2 lateral 50A options. One using PDIs and the other using simple rheostats.

Nice looking panel. Have any shots of it powered up?

Only in testing on the 110v side

I powered up on a bench to heat a 5 gal pail using a test element I built but didn't think to snap a shot. I may brew a wheat next week while I'm home. If so I'll grab a few photos in operation.

Beautiful Panel :rockin:, I know nothing about electric brewing so that panel scares the hell out of me, lol :p.

Thank-you. Sadly we parted ways a couple weeks ago. You may see it on here again it's now with a pretty killer system in NM

I own a bar, just grabbed an empty beer shell for empties of the good stuff. :)

By no means looking to hijack your thread, all credit is due to you for an absolutely amazing panel build! I couldn't be happier with it. I ran my first water brew last night and with some very minor pid tweaking it ran flawless! I'm amazed how much faster, quieter, and cooler it ran than my natural gas setup. Can't wait to crank out some beer! Here's a picture of it in its new home. If you're ever in the abq, nm area give me a shout and we can brew!

View attachment 1507453110252.jpg

Back