60 qt pot on ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually purchased 3 (80 qt) pots from this guy shipped to my door for $135. I have yet to use them but they seem to be pretty decent pots. They came in their box, wrapped in all kinds of plastic and cardboard packing material.

If you can get them through the auction go for it... I had to deal with this guy through email as the auction already ended on the 80qt pots. If you need to deal with him personally then forget it. It took me a month to finally get a deal with him and I told him up front that I wanted three 80 qt pots, shipped to my zip (gave him zip) and told him to send me an invoice to my email (provided email address) and that I'd pay via paypal. There was NOTHING else he needed to know. I don't know if he's just a moron, or if there are a dozen people checking the ebay account and none of them check the email history.

In the end, after going back and forth somewhat regularly for a month I finally got an invoice for the pots they were only charging me $135, and that seemed to not include the shipping charge, but I paid the invoice and a week later I had the pots sitting on my door step.

The auction for the 80 qt pots I believe were $45 a pot plus $20 shipping? So I saved $60 based on his auction price, but I am considering that compensation for dealing with his incompetence.

So again, if you're buying it straight up from the auction, I would expect no issues. Once I received the invoice, I paid it promptly and the pots showed up in a week and I'm in PA so they were shipped promptly. Just hope you don't need to actually communicate with them!

Looks like his 80, 60, and 32 quart pots are all roughly the same price. Mrott, would you recommend the pots? Curious if they seem heavy enough. I'd hate to try to pick up one for of warm wort just to have it collapse or the handles break off.

In the grand scheme of things it's a bit early to tell as I haven't actually began to use them or customize them with valves and such; however, they do seem to be pretty solid pots. Right now they just sit in the basement until I can finish a single tier build for them.

If you'd like I can definitely pull out mine and snap a few pictures that are a bit more detailed than his. Get some thickness shots and all...

That would be cool Mrott. Smack it around a little bit, let us know if you think its sturdy. This is a bit cheaper than the Bayou Classic aluminum pots, so it'll be great if they don't feel cheap.

Ok I'll see if I can get some time this evening to get one of the pots out and snag a few pics. I'll try to get some nice detailed shots including thickness, size, weight, strainer, lid, etc...

Again they'll be of my 80 qt hookup but it should be enough to gauge if you like them or not. Hopefully it will stand to reason that the smaller ones would be similar in quality and construction.

Mrott, thanks for your comments regarding the pot, sounds like you got a good deal. Thanks for the advice re: communicating directly with the guy. I'll probably end up picking one up before the auction ends.

ok so I managed to pull one of the pots back out and snapped a bunch of pictures. In almost all of the pictures you can find my little 6 inch ruler as a basis for comparison.

The only picture that is somewhat misleading is the one of the rim of the pot since it's actually a rounded rim. The whole pot isn't that thick, it's at best maybe 1/4 that.

Otherwise, here's the link to the quick album I just threw together of pictures:

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n515/mrott/Brew Pot/

Also a few other side notes, I took everything to the scale:

pot: 9.5 lbs
strainer: 4 lbs
lid: 1.5 lbs

I'd still argue they feel like they're pretty solid pots, but again since I haven't actually used them yet I have no idea how they'll really hold up. Any other questions that I might be able to answer about them feel free to throw em up here.

Just MO, but a 60 - 80qt for $60 - $65 with a lid and a strainer basket is good buy. For that kind of money the quality seems decent and you can't beat the ease of having something appear at your door. Happy brewing!

The pictures were helpful. I purchased one and it will probably be here by the end of next week. I plan on doing a full boil extract and also the BIAB method so I can post my thoughts after I'm done brewing. I'm sure it will be relisted again on ebay, since there are more than 10 available.

They are constantly being listed. From my limited interaction with them it sounds like they're always available but they just aren't always listing them.

Hey Mrott, I've been eyeing these pots since I saw this post. I do 5 gallon batches, but would like to have the capacity to do 10 gallon batches in the future when I get a little additional space.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 15 gallon pot, but what do you think of your 20's? Would 5 gallons be too little (scorching, etc) in that size pot?

63belair,

Yes, tempting is the 20 gal at only 5 bucks more. While you can certainly do a five gallon batch in a 20 gallon pot, a 20 gallon pot is BIG!! For a 5 gallon batch a pot that large is difficult to handle and wash etc...also boil off will be greater w/ a larger pot. Basicly a pot twice as large as you need becomes a burden IMO. Bigger tends to be better...but we all have our limits:mug:

Hey Wilser,

Thanks for the response. That is the direction I am leaning in. My 7.5 gallon pot is pretty big (dare I say obnoxious when I'm not brewing?) so I can only imagine how large a 20 is. I think I'm going to end up going with the 15 gallon, and just be extra diligent watching out for a boil over, and use fermcaps if required. I think it will strike the best balance between 5 gallon batches, the occasional 10 gallon, ease of use, and storage.

If you don't plan to go above the 10 gallon batch size, I agree with sticking with the 15 gallon pot. I am pushing to the full 1/2 bbl size so I wanted the larger pot.

In size, I am pretty sure I could fit both of my 7.5 gallon pots side by side INSIDE of my 20 gallon pot. It really is a big sucker. It's shape also isn't great for brewing. I would have preferred something a little taller and narrower to help minimize boil off and all but oh well the price was right. Now I just need to finish building my single tier and put those pots to use!

Hey Wilser,

My 7.5 gallon pot is pretty big (dare I say obnoxious when I'm not brewing?) so I can only imagine how large a 20 is.

A 20 gal. will fit a small child! I have two 20 gal pots that i have not used yet because they are so big...hahah:mug: so big that after washing them I rinsed them out under the shower.

A small child? I'm pretty sure it will fit my wife. I haven't actually fit tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure she'll fit in there potentially even with the lid closed. With a solid 20" diameter, it's a big pot.

I received my 60 quart pot and did a full boil extract, 5 gallons. It worked well, although a little scortched on the bottom from my propane burner. However, my extract did not burn at the bottom of the pot, so that's good. I was able to lift it and pour it into my fermentor with relative ease. Overall I'm satisfied.

i was going to go with the 60 qt aluminum, but now im torn between that and the ~$100 SS concord...

I went with the pot from eBay because I wanted the strainer and lid for a reasonable price. However, if you're just looking for a pot with a lid, at $100, SS is a good bargain

Received my 180qt pot last week. Quality looks fine. Next step is to weld some fittings and insulate for HLT use.

I will evaluate and then likely buy another for BK use. Looking forward to being able to fill two full kegs (post fermentation) from a single batch.

Other comments:

1) As with any ss pot, it really needs to be cleaned before and after welding. Pot has a film of dirt that is evident when you wipe the pot with soap/water.

2) I'll test water heating times with and without insulation. Final product will have Lowes insulation

3) I'm using a single Bayou classic banjo burner 10'

Brew on!

Back