6 year old kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistyboy

Reaction score
hi,

i got a Baron Redwood ale Kit. Its been sitting in my friend basement for at least 6 years. Its a liquid mix that come in a bag. i know that the yeast and hop will not be good but i wonder if the mix still good. Theres no exp. date on it. Any idea if its still good?

hi,

i got a Baron Redwood ale Kit. Its been sitting in my friend basement for at least 6 years. Its a liquid mix that come in a bag. i know that the yeast and hop will not be good but i wonder if the mix still good. Theres no exp. date on it. Any idea if its still good?

No exp date??? Strange, but....if the bag is intact (no rips/tears/punctures) and not "swollen," it's probably "ok" to use, meaning it'll ferment and not be unsafe to drink, or anything....as far as taste, dunno if there would be any off- or stale flavors or not, beings as the stuff was presumably processed/packaged correctly. Personally, I would use the extract , buy fresh yeast, and add some specialty grains and lots of hops to mask any possible flavor that might be imparted by old extract. But then again, I'm a cheap bastard and hate to throw out something that may indeed be usable...some folks may tll you to trash it, I'd give it a go....ya live and ya learn...if it turns out "bad" somehow, you're only out a few bucks in yeast and hops and time, but you'll then know whether 6 year old LME will still be good or not, yes?

Why risk it? The time you put in doing it worth more than the ingredients! I would buy new stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back