6 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster

Reaction score
My normal run is 3 weeks in the primary 3 weeks bottle condition. My question is 2 parts. Will I have the same aging flavor if I was 5 weeks in primary and 1 week in the bottle? The second would be how quickly does a beer bottle carb If I wanted to run 4 primary 2 bottle or 5 And 1. Just curious because I didn't get a chance to bottle a batch that is 5 weeks primary.

Reguardless of primary time,you'll always need some 3-4 weeks at 70F or better to carb & condition the beers. Carbonation & conditioning can't be shortened in bottling. Sometimes they carb fast,other times not so fast. But I've found condtioning takes about a week longer than carbonating on average. Bigger beers will take longer. Then you have to count at least a week in the fridge for decent head & carbonation.

My normal run is 3 weeks in the primary 3 weeks bottle condition. My question is 2 parts. Will I have the same aging flavor if I was 5 weeks in primary and 1 week in the bottle? The second would be how quickly does a beer bottle carb If I wanted to run 4 primary 2 bottle or 5 And 1. Just curious because I didn't get a chance to bottle a batch that is 5 weeks primary.

Bulk aging in the primary may give you a slightly better flavor to your beer. The difference may not be readily noticeable.

Carbonation of the beer in the bottle is separate from time in the primary. Bottle carbonation will take the same amount of time. Carbonation time will vary some depending on the FG of your beer.

Honestly it all depends on the beer and the yeast used. I don't deal with calendars on any beer as the yeast really have no idea what day it is. When the beer is done, it's done.

The bigger the beer the longer time it needs to condition and carbonate but it may or may not ferment out any longer than any other beer, usually 7-10 days with an additional week to drop bright and clear. Most of my beers are packaged or kegged around the 14th day or a few after.

That being said, 5 weeks primary due to time/schedule is really no big deal but it doesn't mean it will take less time to carbonate. Carbonating and conditioning are two separate processes even though they can occur in the same vessel. Meaning- A big beer might be fully carbonated in 3 weeks but it's true flavor may not fully develop for another month or two. For example. I have brewed Denny's Vanilla Bourbon Porter several times (Delicious beer). It is generally fully carbonated in about 3-4 weeks but really begins to taste great after conditioning for 6 months or more!

Back